Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 07:30 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Jim's Build for the Common Man

I finally found affordable LOCAL cal sil!!! IIG Super Caltemp® Gold 1700. I can put 4" under my dome. Shout out to Gianni for helping/encouraging me with that.

Only question is if I put it under the vent, which will require purchasing another box. Maybe I'll use insulating fire bricks for that. Not sure. I'll punt that decision down the road for a while.

Can't wait to cut some more bricks this weekend. Horrible thing about this obsession is that I kinda wish my bro and his family weren't visiting this weekend so I'd have more build time. (Bro, if you see this, I swear I love you and your kids dearly, and love it when you stay with us. Build a WFO and you'll understand.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:56 PM
Apprentice

Bro, I had a great time with you, my sis-in-law, and your awesome kids this weekend. But I still couldn't wait to get back to the bricks. To make it worse, I had to visit with friends of my in-laws today. They're also great people, but I was daydreaming about the bricks with them, too. This WFO building disease makes you antisocial. But I'll make it up with great pizza parties and delivered gifts of bread and 'za.

Got my floor cut! Wasn't as hard as I thought to cut it somewhat accurately for a nice curve. Love my new HF saw! Thanks to Les for talking (or rather, replying) me into it.

I think I'll make a thermal break between the oven floor and entry landing. So I'll cut 20" straight across the bottom, pull the entry floor bricks back about 1/2". When I figure out the flared vent (later), I'll put down the vent floor. I want to continue the herringbone all the way out.

-What can I use to insulate b/w the dome floor and entry landing floor for the 1/2" thermal break? I'm sure I saw the answer on other threads, but of course didn't take notes.

Next I'll pick up my cal sil, cut it, then lay down the floor. But I just thought of something to worry about: problem with putting the dome around the floor, is there's more lb/sq inch on the cal sil under the dome bricks. If the dome were on top of the floor, the weight would be more spread out.

-Anyone have problems with settling of cal sil and dome cracking? I plan to use 4".

Not too long I'll get my dome on! (I'm going to copyright that. I can picture 'Get your dome on' t-shirts.)
Attached Thumbnails
Jim's Build for the Common Man-floor.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nice job on cutting the floor. I used 1.5" of Casi over 2" od FoamGlas and have had no issues so far with settling.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:39 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkramer View Post
Bro, I had a great time with you, my sis-in-law, and your awesome kids this weekend. But I still couldn't wait to get back to the bricks. To make it worse, I had to visit with friends of my in-laws today. They're also great people, but I was daydreaming about the bricks with them, too. This WFO building disease makes you antisocial. But I'll make it up with great pizza parties and delivered gifts of bread and 'za.

Got my floor cut! Wasn't as hard as I thought to cut it somewhat accurately for a nice curve. Love my new HF saw! Thanks to Les for talking (or rather, replying) me into it.

I think I'll make a thermal break between the oven floor and entry landing. So I'll cut 20" straight across the bottom, pull the entry floor bricks back about 1/2". When I figure out the flared vent (later), I'll put down the vent floor. I want to continue the herringbone all the way out.

-What can I use to insulate b/w the dome floor and entry landing floor for the 1/2" thermal break? I'm sure I saw the answer on other threads, but of course didn't take notes.

Next I'll pick up my cal sil, cut it, then lay down the floor. But I just thought of something to worry about: problem with putting the dome around the floor, is there's more lb/sq inch on the cal sil under the dome bricks. If the dome were on top of the floor, the weight would be more spread out.

-Anyone have problems with settling of cal sil and dome cracking? I plan to use 4".

Not too long I'll get my dome on! (I'm going to copyright that. I can picture 'Get your dome on' t-shirts.)
You got "brick dust fever" enjoy your build!

Old 08-21-2012, 03:01 PM
Apprentice

Nooooo!!!

I called to place my order for IIG Super Caltemp Gold 1700cal sil, which was rated at 1700deg F, and they said they had given me the wrong product info. They only have IIG Thermo 12 Gold, rated at 1200 deg F. It also has lower density - 14.5 lb/ft3. Would this still be useable?

Old 08-21-2012, 06:34 PM
Serf

Great forum all, I've learned a _lot_ here in the past 2 weeks. My oven has moved well beyond a vague concept.....FB Late Nights!

I'm close to excavation, planning a 42" pompeii here in Maryland. Those of you who are mid project or enjoying delicious pizza, bread and chicken have been here. Anticipation, excitement, questions.....

[QUOTE=Cheesehead;113827] I've spent as much time trying to figure out why my ancient table saw isn't working as time cutting bricks. ...

..Lightbulb here!! Cheesehead, are you cutting firebrick with a table saw? You mean I can save $250 and not buy a brick saw at HF?

I suppose a good 10" masonry blade on my 'ancient table saw' and a 'sled' will do the trick?

Tomweb
Old 08-21-2012, 06:57 PM
Peasant

Jim, I wish you were closer to Michigan, I would help ya.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:14 PM
Apprentice

Okay. After a couple hours of being severely bummed, I found equally cheap IIG super caltemp gold 1700, including delivery. I'm getting 36sq ft of 1.5" thick. So I can put 2 layers to make 3" under the dome. Anyone think it's worth getting a second box? I could then add another 1.5" to make it 4.5" or even still have enough to make it 6" thick. Is this question a sign that I'm too far deep into this?

Last edited by jimkramer; 08-21-2012 at 09:32 PM. Reason: typos
Old 08-22-2012, 07:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Jim,
Based on specs, either board will work, since the outside of a fully loaded oven won't get to even 1000F. 4.5" with enough left over for a door sounds really practical.
John
Old 08-22-2012, 06:36 PM
Apprentice

Nice work on the floor! Real clean cuts. The HF saw makes life so much easier. Totally get the obsession, I worked every waking hour, my wife thinks I am nuts, although she cheered when I finished (maybe a sigh of relief. Have fun!