Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2014, 06:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Jim's Build for the Common Man

G'day
Of course you'll go with those 1/3s and 1/4s but don't forget those 2/3 and 3/4 can come in handy as well to bridge those gapes and make sure that the mortar gapes don't line up
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:53 AM
Apprentice

RIght, actually, I have been using a combination of all sizes to keep the breaks from lining up, and to keep it in circle. But I can see for this course overall, they have to be narrower.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:21 PM
Apprentice

Ouch!

Cement burns. No progress on dome, just wanted to post this pic. Cortisone creme helped a lot with the sting.
Attached Thumbnails
Jim's Build for the Common Man-img_20140621_072545_793.jpg  

Old 07-31-2014, 09:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day
Wash your hands in ordinary vinegar first, takes away the string immediately. Will not cure the damage however, but that terrible itch is gone
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 07-31-2014, 09:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I didn't believe the vinegar cure when I first read about it here back when, but I tried it and it really works.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:44 AM
Journeyman

Makes sense
neutralising the lime(base) with acid
Old 08-10-2014, 09:07 PM
Apprentice

Huzzah!

Finished the dome! I gotta say, although this ain't no precision build, I'm still amazed at how circular it came out. I made a two piece plug that looked kinda like two halves of a weird turd, but it all seems to work. If I had tried to make it fit more correctly to the flatter surfaces of the bricks in the last course, I would have driven myself insane.

When I added the mortar to set them, each half popped up a bit on the outside. I guess I could grind them down, but I'd rather not vibrate the dome. Besides, it'll all be covered. I've pretty much only used the diamond blade on my angle grinder for the plug, but it was worth it, as I was able to shave it down little by little until it fit in.

For the last course (not the final plug) I wanted to see if I could bevel the bricks just for fun. It does look a bit cooler, and they fit a bit tighter, but I'm glad I didn't do it for the whole dome, cause I was never able to get the bevel exactly right, and it would have slowed me down.

I've been doing a lot of work on this ever ending project at night, about twice a week. My neighbors must be annoyed, as I've been pushing it - doing a few cuts as late as 10:00PM a couple nights, and tonight I was shaving down the final plugs until about 9, but no complaints yet. I'll invite them for pizza and all will be forgotten.

Now on the the vent arch!
Attached Thumbnails
Jim's Build for the Common Man-img_20140810_213938_560.jpeg   Jim's Build for the Common Man-img_20140810_214103_310.jpeg   Jim's Build for the Common Man-img_20140810_205205_645.jpeg  

Last edited by jimkramer; 08-10-2014 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Congrats! I remember how good it felt to finish the dome. Pizza soon!

Old 08-11-2014, 12:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Soweeet!!! Won't be long now!!!

Nice job, and don't worry about the neighbors. The memories of 10pm grinding noises will fade pretty quickly once they bite into one of your wood-fired masterpieces!
Old 08-11-2014, 01:13 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Jim's Build for the Common Man

G'day Jim
Beveled cuts with an angle grinder.... Impressive!. Sounds like you up to speed and that entrance and vent area are sounding good already.
Congested from me
Regards
Dave

My Build

My Door