Old 03-02-2012, 09:05 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Jeff's 42" Pompeii in Easley, SC (near Greenville,SC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaIdiot View Post
@ Sananguero I hope I can keep the taper going. The next couple courses will be a challenge. I want to taper the arch bricks to make the dome match it better.
It all looks great Jeff. Interesting thing with the taper . . . so many people spend so much time trying to get it tight and seamless - and, after a dozen or so firings - I've realized that the taper is the least viewable area in the oven when its done. I stare into my oven on occasion to see how its doing - and can't even see the taper unless I get on my back and shimmy my way into the oven.

Build a strong oven - and build to your preference - but don't stress out about visual appearance of things you'll likely never see. One man's opinion, of course -
Old 03-02-2012, 06:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It is deffinately looking good Keep it up. I hope this storm front tonight leaves everyone safe, high, and dry!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Apprentice

I made some progress last weekend and I finally got the pictures uploaded tonight.
The top course is about an inch out of round and the taper isn't uniform, but it's still level. Not sure now I managed that - lol.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Jeff's 42" Pompeii in Easley, SC (near Greenville,SC)-ovendesktop2.jpg   Jeff's 42" Pompeii in Easley, SC (near Greenville,SC)-100_0750-large-.jpg  

Old 08-17-2012, 08:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Jeff, I hear (have read) your dome is complete. Post some more pics if you have them.

You mentioned that you've got some small cracks after firing/ curing it. Don't worry about weather you should have insulated or not before firings.

Since you can see that no smoke escapes any cracks (or even if you laid a piece of white insulation blanket on a crack during a smokey fire and eventually saw some tiny black soot on it) once you insulate your dome, it holds all the heat/smoke in and your oven functions like normal.

Are you planning on glass-fiber insulation (FB blanket?) or vermi-crete mix? Which ever you do, it will then enclose your oven and hairline cracks (or somewhat larger like mine) your wfo will hold heat and work properly like the rest of ours.

-Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread