Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2008, 08:26 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: It's time to go Vertical

RC,

Yeah, I live about 35 minutes from Lambeau, but I will be watching the win in70-degree comfort from my family room. There is no better stadium to watch a football game in the nation but at 1-degree f, I become less ethusiastic.

I actually grew up in New York, but 14 years around here have converted me.

Are you using the HFTools wet saw to cut your brick? If so in addition to the numbers above I could provide a few drawing that will make cutting them on the saw a breeze.

Jim
Old 01-19-2008, 07:37 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcg31 View Post
Are you using the HFTools wet saw to cut your brick? If so in addition to the numbers above I could provide a few drawing that will make cutting them on the saw a breeze.

Jim
I'm sorry to say I declined to go with the WISE advise of getting a 10" wet saw. I have a 7" wet saw I've been using, we built our house two years ago and we took over construction after the drywall stage. I got this saw then to help install over 2500 sf of tile and just couldn't justify the expense of another one. I'm having to cut from both sides so it's double the work but so far it's working for me.
Bevels are hard though, so I'm using a 12" miter saw with a masonry blade(they wear out rather fast). I've protected the motor with a plastic enclosure, but if it dies I always wanted a sliding miter saw anyway. This works ok for the bevels so far.
I've never said I was doing it the easy way. Using the wet saw for cuts when the brick is flat hasn't been a problem
Old 01-19-2008, 08:27 AM
Journeyman

No problem.

I will send the numbers sans the drawings,
I just need to dig up the speadsheet and will post it shortly.

To your question of which is angle and which is bevel I offer the attachment with the qualifier that this is how I have been referring to them and may be completely wrong. But what I have been calling the bevel cut is the side cuts on the brick, a function of the slope of the current course and necessary to keep a tight fit on the sides of the bricks, one to the next. In my experience the angle stayed consistent on all courses except the final few while the bevel changed with each course.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
It's time to go Vertical-anglebevel.jpg  
boylanta and videts38 like this.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

jim, I am interested in seeing the angle drawings.

Acoma's Tuscan:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
No problem.

But what I have been calling the bevel cut is the side cuts on the brick, a function of the slope of the current course and necessary to keep a tight fit on the sides of the bricks, one to the next. In my experience the angle stayed consistent on all courses except the final few while the bevel changed with each course.

Jim
JCG,
How did you determine the angles for the last few course? Just curious.
G.

-
Old 01-19-2008, 02:25 PM
Journeyman

Jim ,
I thought that you may have beveled the sides to eliminate the inverted V, I'm impressed. I know I'll won't be able to do that with a 7", but thanks for that angle grinder.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:29 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
No problem.
To your question of which is angle and which is bevel I offer the attachment with the qualifier that this is how I have been referring to them and may be completely wrong.
Jim
Your terminology I believe is correct from my experience with crown molding.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:15 PM
Journeyman

RC,

OK so here it is, sorry this took so long but we decided to go grocery shopping and ran into an unbelievable crowd at every turn (Packer/NY game tomorrow).

First to George's question, the way these angles and bevels were determined was from the 3d software I used to plan the dome (3d Studio Max). I tried to make most of my mistakes in CG before wasting mortar and brick.

As I said in the earlier post the angle cuts were fairly constant at 5 degrees (42" oven) with exception of last two courses which went to 4.5 and 3.5.

The bevel is a function of course slope and a non-linear function at that. My non linear math is a bit rusty so I opted to plot the bevels I used on my oven on a graph and then fit a curve to same. This will hopefully allow anyone to find their particular slope of their particular course and then determine the appropriate bevel, it won't be perfect, but I think within acceptable tolerances.

With a bit of digging into old text books I hope to post a calculator to spit this out (plug in size of oven, slope of course, out comes needed bevel). If there are any mathematicians out there any help would be appreciated.

While we were out I took a look at your saw at HFTools I wouldn't give up on the bevels quite yet. I am going to post an approach with the larger saw but there may be some application to the 7".

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
It's time to go Vertical-bevel-chart3.jpg  
boylanta likes this.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:06 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoma View Post
jim, I am interested in seeing the angle drawings.
Robert,
I will get those up sometime tomorrow or Monday (the big game and all).

Jim
Old 01-19-2008, 10:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

JCG,
You crack me up. My math stopped at calculus, and I sucked at that. Non-linear function? It makes me all gooey inside. Perhaps it's been too many years working on peoples teeth. Might as well try Euclidean Geometry on me. Thank God my dome is still standing.

PS: I love the fact that some people understand that stuff. I'm in awe! I was hoping you'd say you just "eyeballed it", as the saying goes. Kudos!

-