Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2008, 08:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: It's time to go Vertical

RC, with curing over, it is time to lift that blanket to see the results. I have 2" of blanket minimum to approx. 4" at overlapping areas towards the top. Somewhere you stated that you would add more. How much is the minimum you wish to cover with? Aren't you planning on other insulating factors on top (Matrilite or Vermiculite)? How much would then be applied?

Acoma's Tuscan:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:54 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbingham View Post
Great pics RC. You gotta be happy with those results! How's the oven holding up after the blazing fire?
It seems to be doing just fine, from the inside everything I can see looks the same. Any hints on getting the soot off the arch entry way? From the outside I do have mortar crack zigzagging up 4 bricks starting at the top left of the arch and where the dome connects, nothing bad thoug. But not excited on going in until I clean the entry way up.

"It's time to go Vertical"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:06 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoma View Post
RC, with curing over, it is time to lift that blanket to see the results. I have 2" of blanket minimum to approx. 4" at overlapping areas towards the top. Somewhere you stated that you would add more. How much is the minimum you wish to cover with? Aren't you planning on other insulating factors on top (Matrilite or Vermiculite)? How much would then be applied?
I bought 50 sf of 2" blanket and also of 1" blanket. So far I only have the 2" covering the dome, I still have 6' of the 25' in the box plus all the 1". I haven't seen the outside of the blanket above 90F so far. I'll add the rest so I'll have 4" or 5" everywhere, other than the arch way (only 2" there, it hasn't got that hot there). I'll have the 5" segment on the top of the dome.

Nothing else, I think I'll put stucco over that to weatherproof it until I get to the stonework.
Good luck tomorrow

Old 03-17-2008, 01:10 PM
Journeyman

Also wanted to thanks James for the pizza cutter, it got here days before our first pizza. It put my old one to shame, twice the size. Looking forward to cutting a lot of pie with it.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

RC, that pizza cutter is pretty sweet! I use it every time we have imitation pizza (WFO is the only real one). Glad to hear your cures are done, and the foods are fun.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Old 03-09-2012, 08:28 AM
Apprentice

RC,

Your build is awesome and the info I have found reading through your thread is priceless.

Fantastic job!

Nate
Old 05-25-2012, 04:19 AM
Apprentice

Hello JCG,
I'm currenly in the process of planning my 42" WFO build and have been doing ALOT of reading on this forum site. Trying to ease from the planning to building process as smoothly as possible. And by the way I'm a novice to masonry and not an engineer.
I have been reading about your angle cuts on the firebricks. I have 3"x4.5"x9" bricks and wanted to try figure out the angle cuts for this projects. You mentioned you might put together a spreed sheet for the calculations of the angles by plugging in the brick info. I was wondering if you ever did this and if possible can you forward me a copy of the spreedsheet to use in my build. I wasn't sure if the chart you have attached would apply to the size bricks I have.
I'm trying to figure everything out before i get started to ease the stress (LOL) I'm geting before I even start. thanks and I look forward to your reply.

Steven