Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 09:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Insulation recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by jab49 View Post
Thanks Les - that makes sense. So if my dome has a surface area of say, 2.73 sq m, allow for 3-4 times that in blanket. And allow for the chimney support up to the outer arch, I'm assuming, too.
Cheers

JT
JT - that would be a good amount of insulation. In regard to the chimney and outer arch - probably not required. The heat at that point is wasted so let it go? I insulated my flue because I went with type S mortar for my decorative brick - and the insulation was no more than an inch thick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:32 AM
Laborer

I used a 1 inch blanket to insulate the dome, which was in a double layer across most of the oven. This was then covered with approx 4 inches of 9:1 vermicrete. The blanket was held in place with chicken wire, which was tightened up by twisting the mesh with pliers. The insulation only covered the entry where there was an overlap, I did not apply any insulation specifically to insulate the brick work of that area. There is a heat break between my done and the entry to prevent heat loss through that route.

See pics below.

The vermicrete does not compress the blanket to any great extent, as it is very light.

Last edited by Faz; 08-26-2012 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Added some extra information for clarity.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:32 PM
Apprentice

Hi JT, yes, going same route as you, keeping it an igloo, good to hear you have a friend to help with stucco, never did that before, hope it goes ok. Started 3 curing fire all good so far, have fun with your build. Take care, pat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:29 PM
Peasant

Can anyone help me with this, we're in the same situation.

We just finished 3" of blanket on our dome and chicken wire to boot.

I'm wondering a few things:

1. The vermiculite we can get around here is this stuff: Vermiculite Insulation at Menards

it's the flake variety. I'm assuming it's not going to work very well for the dome?

2. How thick do we need to go assuming this is just for covering the blanket not for insulation? I'm planning on 10:1 but we've run out of room on our dome and it's now pretty much flush with the base on the outside. The thinner at this point the better just because we have no where to go!

3. In relationship to the previous question, any idea how much portland and vermiculite we'll need for what is now about a 50" diameter?
Old 09-09-2012, 12:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

1. Don't know what the stuff is like without seeing it, but I find 50/50 vermiculite, perlite works better than either of them alone so you could get some perlite from nursery supplies and mix it. Expect around 25% loss in volume on mixing.
2. If you only need it to get the shape nice and even you can probably get away with making it only about an inch thick but then make the brew a bit richer (say 7:1) if you tap it with the face of a trowel you can get the form remarkably even.
3. Calculate the volume required 4/3 x 3.142 x radius cubed (divide by two because it's a hemisphere) and remember you'll lose some volume on mixing.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:46 AM
Apprentice

I ended up using almost 2 bags on my 42" covering 2-3 " on sides, and 4-5" on top, with 10-1 mix. good luck!