Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Pompeii Oven Construction (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Insulation: The more the merrier. But how much more? (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/insulation-more-merrier-but-how-much-19082.html)

V-wiz 03-12-2013 04:25 PM

Insulation: The more the merrier. But how much more?

So im slowly getting ready to pick up rolls of Ceramic fiber insulation for my igloo style oven. I am going to install as much insulation as needed and skip V-Crete. I understand that CF blanket is more efficient than V-Crete and i just don't want to deal with V-Crete. I have a game plan for shaping the dome so im not worried about the shape. What i am concerned about is the overall bulk of the dome. I don't want to have a "fat-head" dome. So how many inches of insulation would you guys recommend i use?

Thanks for your help.

azatty 03-13-2013 05:31 PM

Re: Insulation: The more the merrier. But how much more?

Quote:

Originally Posted by V-wiz (Post 147525)
So how many inches of insulation would you guys recommend i use?

Three inches is the standard for ceramic blanket. There's a thread kicking around the board concerning diminishing returns of insulation, but I don't recall where it is.

irelande5 03-13-2013 05:40 PM

I went 3 " of blanket, then topped that with 3" of vermic-crete, what I found in research from other member and posts was that obvious heat loss is realized more at top, and more is truly better in this instance. I had no trouble with blanket compressing, actually the vermic was so light it helped shelter it and really helped dome final shape. I have a make shift metal door, not nearly tight nor is in insulated, working on that now, and given that i reach working temps of 950 plus, the next day its around 400-500, day after that still in 250 range. good luck!

deejayoh 03-13-2013 08:54 PM

three to four inches of CF blanket is plenty

to irelande's post, I think that it is better to invest in a good door and a heat break than to add insulation beyond that. It is $50 a roll or something like that, after all...

V-wiz 03-13-2013 11:19 PM

Thanks for the respond all. 3" is assuming that vermiculite will be used right? since im not planning on using Vcrete i should technically be using more CF insulation right? about 4-5 inches worth? Thanks again.

brickie in oz 03-13-2013 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V-wiz (Post 147711)
i should technically be using more CF insulation right?

Wrong.
CF has more insulating properties that vermiculite.

V-wiz 03-13-2013 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brickie in oz (Post 147712)
Wrong.
CF has more insulating properties that vermiculite.

Right, im aware of that as i pointed that in my OP, but would 3 inches still be enough?

brickie in oz 03-13-2013 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V-wiz (Post 147713)
Right, im aware of that as i pointed that in my OP, but would 3 inches still be enough?

If you lived in the Arctic that would be more than enough. :)

Edit:
I just saw that you live in LA, 3" is way too much, how cold does it get there?

V-wiz 03-14-2013 07:22 AM

Coldest it would get is probably 37F

deejayoh 03-14-2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V-wiz (Post 147713)

I agree with brickie. That's enough by itself w/o any vermiculite.