Old 10-11-2007, 06:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Insulation information

Dusty,

Go with the blanket, If I remeber correctly, it has 3 - 4 times the insulating factor of vermiculite.

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Master Builder

Les,
That is what I don't get yet. Does that mean a 1" blanket equals 3 to 4" of vermiculite? 'Cause I could add 6 or more iches of vermiculite on the top and corners. Or do you tend to need both?
Dusty
Old 10-11-2007, 08:04 PM
Journeyman

I think you cant go wrong if you use the blanket and fill the rest with vermiculite..I mean you do reach a point in any insulation scenario where too much insulation just doesn't do more for you, but if your enclosure is that tight, at 20.00 and bag you are going to use what 2 bags?..I say why not just add it... I wonder if anyone has any statistics on the temps on the outside of the blanket at full heat..that would be nice to know. Then again this all depends on your anticipated usage of the oven you may not need reach maximum insulation capacity for what you are going to use the oven for.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:55 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unofornaio View Post
I I wonder if anyone has any statistics on the temps on the outside of the blanket at full heat..that would be nice to know.

Hey, I found one. Well for Isofrax you can find a data table that gives hot face/cold face values. Unfortunately they give no k values for there products so that doesn't help. They list no table for the Insulfrax, but they do list Insulfrax paper and Isofrax paper and the Isofrax has a lower k value.
At 1202 deg F the cold face is;
343 with 1"
248 with 2"
182 with 4"

Reference:
http://www.unifrax.com/prodinfo.nsf/By+Trade+Name/AED3824C5972AB1885256EDA006F2643/$File/Form%20C-1452%20Isofrax%20Blanket.pdf
Old 10-13-2007, 11:23 AM
Master Builder

OK Acoma,
I, with the help of my son, have downloaded the pics to "my pictures" and into a folder labled "oven photos". I await my next instruction. I'm learning all kinds of things since joining!
Dusty
Old 10-13-2007, 11:26 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

:-)
Lifelong learning. This group let's you explore construction, thermal dynamics, bread, pizza, flour, Italian food, and digital photography -- all in one place.

James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:47 AM
Master Builder

Yea James,
At first I though... Why are all these computer geeks making wood fired ovens? It didn't take me long to realize that, hey, these guys aren't geeks! They are just like me. They just got good on the computer so they could learn more and talk to others about one of their passions. Very cool.
I'm stiving now for geekhood. This is much more fun than checking my e-mail once in a while.
Dusty

Last edited by dusty; 10-14-2007 at 10:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-13-2007, 07:03 PM
Master Builder

Excelent tutalidge Acoma!
This is the best photo I have that shows how close my oven's edge is to where my enclosure wall will someday be. Red bricks will face the entire side that the arch is on, and then go across the side that my little level, square, and two red bricks are on. Since this was taken, I have shrunk the oven one inch (now 40"). Now that I understand how to do it, I'll take a better one and maybe post some of the others that show my progress so far. My oven sits in the middle of an L shaped outdoor kitchen.
Thanks a million Acoma.
Dusty
Attached Thumbnails
Insulation information-picture-012.jpg  
Old 10-13-2007, 07:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dusty, I like the wood storage arch, nice change with the slim shims.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Old 10-13-2007, 08:00 PM
Master Builder

Actually, That's the back door. I knew that the arched doors would look striking, so I put in two! One visable from the house, and one from the hot tub!
You kinda see both doors, and my friend Brent, in the first pic before the hearth was poured. Above the front door, third picture, I will build the entry arch to the oven to match.
Dusty
Attached Thumbnails
Insulation information-picture-007.jpg   Insulation information-picture-008.jpg   Insulation information-picture-009.jpg