Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 07:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Insulation blanket, ceramic insulating tape?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xene View Post

Another question, there is a lot of limestone in this area, could it be used? Any reason sandstone is a better material?
I'm not a brick / rock guy but I would think that either limestone or sandstone would be too soft. Apparently soapstone can handle the heat and it will not soak up the greases that WILL drip as you are cooking meals. Pizza was never a problem but when I started using the Tuscan grill for steaks - messy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:38 PM
Apprentice

Oh thanks Les, I meant to say soapstone, not sandstone. Ah, grease..of course - good point.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:03 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
Granite can spall from heat as well. I just found out the hard way. I cut a piece for my garden window with a dry blade. I was just told yesterday that it cannot be polished like the rest of the surface. Have you considered soapstone? If I had a do over, I would go that route.
Is the problem that the dry blade "damaged the stone" so now it can't be finished? I know that granite CAN be polished to a smooth, shiny finish after cutting with a wet saw. (BTW a "skill saw plugged into a GFI with a diamond bade and low pressure sprinkler systems drip of water onto the blade mimics a "wet saw" very nicely). We put granite counters in the kitchen a few years back - this place had great prices (delivered)! and all the needed supplies Do It Yourself Granite Countertops - GRANITE COUNTERTOPS - Granite Countertop - Granite Tops - Granite Top - Granite Kitchen Countertops - Granite Counters Their polishing pads work great. I am going to try then on concrete next!
dvm