Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Pompeii Oven Construction (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   insulation blanket (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/insulation-blanket-11013.html)

cecilB 02-18-2010 03:12 PM

insulation blanket

Hello Everyone!

Just one quick question before I order:
How much insulation do I need to order to cover my 42" oven with 3 layers?

Thanks for your patience!

Cecelia

dusty 02-18-2010 06:54 PM

Re: insulation blanket

Cecelia,
I think three of the rolls that FB sells. I KNOW that I have used two, so far, and plan on adding one more before I call it "good". Seems I may have three layers on the top but only two on the sides. My oven is 41" in diameter.

Hope this helps.

dusty

Les 02-18-2010 07:14 PM

I used 2 rolls for a 42 inch. I also added some vermiculite on top of it but will never know if it was needed.

Les...

Dino_Pizza 02-18-2010 08:57 PM

Cecilia,
I built a 42" last year and I ordered 3 FB blankets. I did have a 1/3 left over after 2+ layers on the side and 3-4 on top. I think I could have gotten by with 2 but it would have been really tight. I was glade to be able to cover the base of my vent and I have some left over to use for stuffing in between the steel joists, the vent were poked thru the roof and in the oven door I theoretically will make one day. I know it's an extra, what $75? but it's the easiest, yet REALLY important product to install on the oven. Hope this helps, Dino

3G_ 02-19-2010 03:19 AM

I used two rolls for a 42 inch oven and got three layers. Works beautifully.

cecilB 02-19-2010 06:45 AM

Thanks everyone - I guess I will go ahead and order three rolls. gulp!
That's 150 bucks in shipping, ya know!
But I am anxious to get going once we get some good weather.

cecelia

trockyh 02-19-2010 07:36 AM

I have a 42" oven and will be picking up my blankets at the expo this weekend. I was planning on 3, but with the responses to this thread maybe I will go with two, because I have 3 bags of vermiculite left to add when I finish my enclosure.

Tom

tmarsala 05-21-2010 08:42 AM

Hi, all-

I plan on using four balnkets for my 42" oven. I have three already and the fourth is on backorder and I still have time for a refund. I know that sounds like overkill, and it's not like I am made of $$, but I am not using any vermiculite and I want to make sure that there is zero equilibrium going on between the inside of the dome and the outside.

Has anyone used four? I already have three, should I just use three?

Thanks.

Tom
Menifee, CA
Jack of all trades, Master of none!

tmarsala 05-21-2010 02:05 PM

Does anyone know if 4 blankets would be overkill for my 42" dome? I already have three and the fourth is on backorder so I still have time for a refund. I am not using vermiculite.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Tom

tmarsala 05-25-2010 09:17 AM

Hi, all-

Just to let you know that I went ahead and used all three balnkets and each roll covered my 42" oven (dome plus vent area) to the square inch! I was able to get three layers everywhere with an extra layer on the top.

Three is perfect if you seam them correctly!

Got my refund-

Tom