Old 04-24-2009, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Instructions for a double stack??

The problem is coming up with room for a smoke chamber above your fireplace, without squishing it to nothing. You might have to move your oven entry off to one side to make room for your fireplace vent. You want your fireplace flue to be a direct a path as possible, there are enough problems with smoking outside fireplaces because they don't have the big temperature differential that makes indoor fireplaces draw.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:13 PM
Serf

Hi Dutch

We are trying to figure and recalculate - the slab we poured was 77" by 86" deep - not sure if we need to add to the slab so that we have room for the second stack at the back --hoping to build the 42" Pompeii so not sure if we will have enough room.....
70chevelle has a really neat fireplace/oven combo, but no dimentions were given (that I can find)..... it's very exciting to build this, but want to make sure we get it right the first time

We live in Greenville (aka the middle of nowhere)

Mini
Old 04-26-2009, 04:06 PM
Master Builder

Greenville is not really the middle of nowhere...not too far from Albany as I recall and not too far from Catskill...used to teach golf when I lived there and played at Catskill Golf Club...I was from Orange County...not far from Middletown...I can think of other places in NY state that are much more the middle of nowhere than Greenville...let me know if I can help with the layout...I think you should be OK with your slab size...might just have to move the oven opening a little closer to the edge...
Best
Dutch
Old 04-26-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
so that we have room for the second stack at the back
Having a firebox that deep, or having a long horizontal smoke run immediately off the firebox is not going to be conducive to good draw.

Have you looked at the rumford.com site?

Outdoor Rumfords

They discuss in detail the draw problems of outdoor fireplaces.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:25 PM
Serf

thanks - i will check out the site.

Dutch
You are right - there are more remote areas in NYS than Greenville, but let me tell you, when you need even the most basic of basics, it's a 20-25 min. ride - gets old sometimes - however, it is stunningly beautiful and virtually no crime - believe it not, it's actually safer here than back in Ireland -

We are still stuck on the patio (a mere 1300 sqft), but this gives us the time to thoroughly research the plans - would love any help you can give - a bit out of my range, but giving it a shot anyway.........

mini