Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 02:17 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: I'm getting closer to my Dome!

good to hear!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:11 AM
Journeyman

Well the oven withstood Sandy and now it made it through the end of the world. My guess is - it is going to be around for quite a while!
The original crack in the back has stayed the same, and has not affected the cooking/baking at all. (Again don't sweat the small stuff!) If I lose some weight this spring I may go inside and fill it just for aesthetics.

Hope everyone has a joyous and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oven Blog:
Old 02-02-2013, 07:26 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
I am using a 48" level also to help in this end. btw: what is the difference between a 48 mason's level and a craftsman level?
One Christmas my friend's wife asked him what he wanted as a present. She had trouble buying tools etc. for him. He told her he could really, really use a metric adjustable wrench..... She shopped for weeks asking for a metric adjustable wrench. Of course all the hardware store clerks laughed!

Thanks Eric, I also am suffering from that extra age syndrome! And I am trying to shed some stress with a little less perfection and more function!

Now to figure how to cut my brick thirds in four cuts with proper angles and bevels...
I am sorry to say this but - I actually own a metric wrench right now!! It has a ratchet thread set at .5mm steps, so you have everything from the smallest up to 25mm metric wrenches - so your buddy could have come unstuck at some point. I honestly thought the local tool shed was taking the P#@# when they advertised it in store on a demo counter, but true enough, there it is and I use it practically every day - it really is good!
Old 02-10-2013, 01:41 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by waikato pizza View Post
I am sorry to say this but - I actually own a metric wrench right now!! It has a ratchet thread set at .5mm steps, so you have everything from the smallest up to 25mm metric wrenches - so your buddy could have come unstuck at some point. I honestly thought the local tool shed was taking the P#@# when they advertised it in store on a demo counter, but true enough, there it is and I use it practically every day - it really is good!
I'll let him know for sure! LOL

Photos:

Oven Blog:
Old 02-10-2013, 01:44 PM
Journeyman

Winter in wonderful New England! Somehow I don't think the oven is warm at the moment, But it will be next weekend after all the snowplowing is done! I love this oven! btw I am glad I made a steep roof that matched the house, along with some extra rafters and bracing. Slate was heavy enough, but this is a fair amount of snow!
Attached Thumbnails
I'm getting closer to my Dome!-brickoven_2_8_2013sml.jpg   I'm getting closer to my Dome!-brickoven_2_9_2013sml.jpg  
brickie in oz and NCMan like this.

Photos:

Oven Blog:
Old 02-27-2013, 12:00 AM
Laborer

Beautiful oven and pictures. Pleased to hear it survived the storm! The way the WFO's are built based on the advice on this forum it's no wonder!

Enjoy your oven!
Old 04-05-2014, 12:17 PM
Journeyman

Just s short update for the "I have a crack in my oven" crowd. Well, yes I have a somewhat large crack in the back of my oven. It appeared after the second firing. I am sure it was my fault for not cleaning out the firebrick chips that found themselves between the floor and walls. Those took away the "expansion gap" which was between the floor and walls.
At any rate, I have been using my oven for several years now and the oven is still standing! The crack has not gotten bigger, and I have been procrastinating with patching it from the inside. Whenever I have that much free time, I am making pizza dough, bread dough and cooking up a storm!
So if your oven gets some cracks, don't freak out as I and others have done. I have proof that it will take a lot more than a crack to spoil your oven!
Attached Thumbnails
I'm getting closer to my Dome!-01a984d90f6c703e8bfc95bd46ca5e6f4b6f0f772c_00002.jpg   I'm getting closer to my Dome!-01e2fbe524f3a693ced041082a6ba5b1285ab1ecec_00001.jpg   I'm getting closer to my Dome!-01a9146b1b2a2110ea54329f6137158360b8ce81cd.jpg  
david s likes this.

Photos:

Oven Blog:
Old 04-05-2014, 01:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Patching it will do no good anyway, as I am sure it is a living crack, that is, it expands and contracts with the oven temp. Leave it alone and enjoy the oven.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Consider it a beauty mark.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 04-06-2014, 03:44 AM
Master Builder

A unique part of your oven. Does no harm so why bother attempting a repair after this time.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics