Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 05:24 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: I'm getting closer to my Dome!

I hope I'm not speaking out of context here but are you referring to Roofing Slate?
If so, I have quite a few pieces that you can have for free...just pay shipping....let me know...
Old 04-10-2011, 05:46 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyebreadman View Post
I hope I'm not speaking out of context here but are you referring to Roofing Slate?
If so, I have quite a few pieces that you can have for free...just pay shipping....let me know...
Thanks for the more than generous offer, I did secure a square of slate roofing material from evergreen slate co. they did ship them down from upstate NY to Ct. Again thanks for the generous offer. And you are not speaking out of context, if anyone has free copper flashing... Yeah I am day dreaming in another universe! LOL
Thanks
John

Photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oven Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:21 AM
Journeyman

Ok fire brick has arrived and I still an not sure on laying the hearth flat or standing them on edge for more mass! I have only had ALL WINTER to decide. lol My hearth is a bit on the high side and that may make the decision for me. Anyway I have the 4" thick pieces of foamglas and some firebrick for some measurements and a look and feel so to speak on the hearth height. I think I will need to "set" level the foamglas first and then put some fireclay/sand mixture for the hearth bricks to be bed into.
Any suggestions on what to use to level the foamglas? fireclay/sand? mortar? I can see the top pieces are not level and worse some rock back and forth. So it is also for stabilizing the hearth/foamglas base. Thanks in Advance
John
Attached Thumbnails
I'm getting closer to my Dome!-firebrick-pallet-sml.jpg   I'm getting closer to my Dome!-foamglas-front-sml.jpg   I'm getting closer to my Dome!-foamglas-heart-front-sml.jpg  

Photos:

Oven Blog:
Old 04-16-2011, 09:28 AM

As the riggers say, gravity always wins. You're putting a lot of weight on top of this and I'm sure it will stay put without mortar. You don't want it wiggling, however. I'd use a little of your leveling medium under the foamglas to keep it steady.

I'd only lay the bricks on edge if you were going for multiple-batch bread baking. Flat bricks for your floor seem to achieve the needed balance for pizza cooking.

Let us know how the foamglas works out. It's a lot more affordable than refractory insulation, and a lot less work than mixing vermiculite concrete.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:23 AM
Apprentice

I put my firebricks flat as shown in your pictures. I've baked 26 loaves on one firing and bake between 15-20 loaves once per week on average. The oven still has plenty of stored heat for cooking beans, roasts, ribs, etc. after bread so you shouldn't have any issues. I only used perlcrete for my bottom insulation, then an inch of sand for leveling the hearth bricks-will probably be the best way to make a quick leveling/stabilizing layer for both your foamglas and hearth bricks. The picture here show's my brother-in-law leveling my hearth. My whole build is summarized in photos at www.sablesprings.com or in The Dragonfly Den posted by sablesprings (in the forum's photo albums). All's well with my hearth brick levels after 18 months of fairly consistent weekly use.
Attached Thumbnails
I'm getting closer to my Dome!-06.jpg  
)

Photo albums

Old 04-16-2011, 04:40 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmun View Post
As the riggers say, gravity always wins. You're putting a lot of weight on top of this and I'm sure it will stay put without mortar. You don't want it wiggling, however. I'd use a little of your leveling medium under the foamglas to keep it steady.
Advise well taken, as soon as the rain stops I'll be putting down a sand base under the foamglas.

Quote:
I'd only lay the bricks on edge if you were going for multiple-batch bread baking. Flat bricks for your floor seem to achieve the needed balance for pizza cooking.
I'll be doing some bread baking but only one load per firing, and I guess if I want to do more then a re-firing doesn't sound too hard versus having to heat up the extra mass on every firing.

Quote:
Let us know how the foamglas works out. It's a lot more affordable than refractory insulation, and a lot less work than mixing vermiculite concrete.
Yes I will report back with how well the foamglas works. I will be overkilling the thermocouple route with at least eight in various positions. Certainly above and below foamglas will be included and should give definitive data.
Thanks for the input!

Photos:

Oven Blog:
Old 04-16-2011, 04:48 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SableSprings View Post
I put my firebricks flat as shown in your pictures. I've baked 26 loaves on one firing and bake between 15-20 loaves once per week on average. The oven still has plenty of stored heat for cooking beans, roasts, ribs, etc. after bread so you shouldn't have any issues. I only used perlcrete for my bottom insulation, then an inch of sand for leveling the hearth bricks-will probably be the best way to make a quick leveling/stabilizing layer for both your foamglas and hearth bricks. The picture here show's my brother-in-law leveling my hearth. My whole build is summarized in photos at www.sablesprings.com or in The Dragonfly Den posted by sablesprings (in the forum's photo albums). All's well with my hearth brick levels after 18 months of fairly consistent weekly use.
I have been on your site and love your oven with the movable counters and great craftsmanship! Since I couldn't possibly eat more than 20 loaves per week and still fit through the door, I will lay the bricks flat as yourself and Dmun suggest will be sufficient. Did you use anything to contain the sand from migrating out from under your hearth? I was thinking more of a 1/4" of sand for leveling/stabilization would be all that is needed. The difference from the high to low spots is less than 1/4"
Again great oven and thanks for the info!
John

Photos:

Oven Blog:
Old 04-17-2011, 10:04 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
I have been on your site and love your oven with the movable counters and great craftsmanship! Since I couldn't possibly eat more than 20 loaves per week and still fit through the door, I will lay the bricks flat as yourself and Dmun suggest will be sufficient. Did you use anything to contain the sand from migrating out from under your hearth? I was thinking more of a 1/4" of sand for leveling/stabilization would be all that is needed. The difference from the high to low spots is less than 1/4"
Again great oven and thanks for the info!
John
I added a layer of clay and diatomaceous earth between the firebrick dome and the perlcrete outer insulation-gives it a bit of slip and the fine powder fills in minor cracks in the refractory mortar of the dome. The perlcrete around the base is what I was using to keep the sand in place. During the build, the sand stayed pretty much in place on the edges of the perlcrete pad. When I moved to insulating the dome, the initial 3"-4" ring of perlcrete I poured/placed around the base not only locked in the leveling sand layer but allowed me to anchor the fencing wire that acts as an internal support for the insulation as I worked it over the dome. I did come back and put a second insulating layer of perlcrete to smooth out and reshape the dome outline before putting on the "brick barrel" facade.

(As for the 20 loaves--I do give most of my bread away to friends and neighbors so I don't have to widen my door frames or buy only clothing made of at least 80% spandex...)
Attached Thumbnails
I'm getting closer to my Dome!-p9111416.jpg   I'm getting closer to my Dome!-pa303908.jpg   I'm getting closer to my Dome!-32.jpg   I'm getting closer to my Dome!-dsc00282.jpg  
)

Photo albums

Last edited by SableSprings; 04-17-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:38 PM
Journeyman

Hi Mike,
I will definitely use the percrete mix, once I find perlite. Great photos!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS!
John

Photos:

Oven Blog:
Old 04-21-2011, 11:02 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
Yes I will report back with how well the foamglas works. I will be overkilling the thermocouple route with at least eight in various positions. Certainly above and below foamglas will be included and should give definitive data.
Where, might I ask, did you find your thermocouples? I would love to plan on using as many as you, but they are so darn expensive. Are you using the thermocouples sold by FB?

Looking forward to seeing the results and progress of your build, as well as how the foamglass shapes up!!

Happy Bricklaying!
-Simon