Old 03-18-2012, 02:38 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: I Blew It !!

-I say keep your foundation the way it is and do something like Dino did to give you the extra room in the front for your vent. I have always thought the huge entry/landings are unnecassary. Remember the front opening of your oven does not need the same space as the back and the sides. Center your oven so the sides and the back are balanced, then when you get to the vent part of the oven (after you finish the dome) overhang it as you need to.
-Draw it out, What are you going to finish the base with? This might help you in your overhang.
Good Luck-
-Mike
Old 03-18-2012, 04:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dino could do his easier because he had rebar extending so that he could tie it structurally to the suspended slab.

Drilling and grouting dowels is an iffy thing.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:01 PM
Peasant

Hey boys, I do know of a product for anchoring rebar in concrete with this epoxy. It's made by Hilti and it's an unbelievable. It's for heady duty commercial application and it's bullet proof. I could drill in to the hearth and add some 3/4 inch rebar and extend out. Just don't know how far I will need to go. I made a temp plate and I will have around 8" for the vent and opening after the dome is built.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: I Blew It !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Buckles View Post
Hey boys, I do know of a product for anchoring rebar in concrete with this epoxy. It's made by Hilti and it's an unbelievable. It's for heady duty commercial application and it's bullet proof. I could drill in to the hearth and add some 3/4 inch rebar and extend out. Just don't know how far I will need to go. I made a temp plate and I will have around 8" for the vent and opening after the dome is built.
FWIW.....What is your planned oven floor hieght? Could you live with the floor another 3.5 inches higher? If yes, just pour another slab with reinforced cantilevers wherever you need them. The added expense and time to make a base with the correct dimensions is worth it. Added hieght is something many wish they had in retrospect.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:01 PM
Peasant

That is easy, I can increase the height.... But will it look goofy when I finish with a cable style roof. I mean will it look okay with an overhang on the foundation ?
Old 03-18-2012, 06:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
FWIW.....What is your planned oven floor hieght? Could you live with the floor another 3.5 inches higher? If yes, just pour another slab with reinforced cantilevers wherever you need them. The added expense and time to make a base with the correct dimensions is worth it. Added hieght is something many wish they had in retrospect.
I agree,
Mine will finish out about 2 to 3 inches below optimum and I thought it would be the perfect height.

GianniFoccacia (John) has an excellent work-around for your dilemma. The same approach will work with your square stand, only easier. You want have to drill holes for rebar. Just extend the rebar from the new pore horizontally over the edge in the available space out side of the insulation footprint on the sides. It will carry the weight in the middle. That will give you the counterweight and support to make this work.

If you are interested I can draw you a set of plans to post which will show you how to form and and reinforce.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:36 PM
Peasant

Gulf, that would be much appreciated if you can afford the time to forward a sketch. I understand your plan but will it look okay with an extension on the foundation when I finish it with cultured stone ?
Old 03-18-2012, 06:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Gulf, that would be much appreciated if you can afford the time to forward a sketch. I understand your plan but will it look okay with an extension on the foundation when I finish it with cultured stone ?
If you are facing the stand, sure! I can't see what finish would matter. You might want to spec out exactly what your idea of the finished oven would look like. (thickness of stone etc.) I and or many others will help you get there.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:21 PM
Peasant

Do you mean just pour an extra 2" on the top and plan the finishes as I go.....kind of wing it ! I measured my current total height, it's 38".
Old 03-18-2012, 07:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Do you mean just pour an extra 2" on the top and plan the finishes as I go.....kind of wing it ! I measured my current total height, it's 38".
I'm sorry, I thought you were meaning the face of the stand. My finished height is 41". I am 5' 8" tall. I could have used another 2 to 3" of height for the floor finished floor level.

I suggest that you pore another 3 and 1/2" of concrete and recess your vermiculite or Calcil (GianniFocaccia's build). If you pore 3 and 1/2" of vermuiculite in the form and add 2" of CalSil that would bring you up to 43 and 1/2". That would be the optimum height for me.