Old 05-26-2010, 08:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Huck Buld

I know this won't be my last oven. I learned so much it would be a shame to waste it by not doing it again!
Jay
Old 05-27-2010, 04:01 AM
Master Builder

Seems I got shipwrights disease while building my oven. After the concrete was done for the oven - i needed 2 more slabs for the outdoor kitchen, footings for the steps from the patio, concrete benches, herb stand .... Kinda wish my wife would have called for an intervention. That harbor frieght cement mixer got more than it bargained for and those 2x6's oven forms stuck with me the entire time.

For some reason - I see another oven in my future - we'll figure out some reason to move again. These ovens are too much fun not to have one! And now the thing as somehow integrated itself into our normal lives....

Christo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:39 AM
Laborer

Talking Re: Huck Buld

High friends
I need to ask a couple of questions. I am using the ceramic fiberboard to put my floor, and soldier course on. I just found out that the Ceramic fiberboard is on its way and should be here Friday. My question is when you cut out the ceramic fiberboard do you cut it the same size as your soldier course or do you cut it a little larger like maybe 1Ēor so. My soldier course will be on top of the ceramic fiberboard, not on floor. I have everything it takes to complete my WFO I should be able to start on it Saturday. Iíll be sending photos of my progress.
Huck

Old 06-08-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
when you cut out the ceramic fiberboard do you cut it the same size as your soldier course or do you cut it a little larger like maybe 1”or so
It depends on what kind of enclosure you are planning. If you are doing an enclosure, there is no need to cut it at all. If you are doing a igloo, i'd cut it the size of your finished insulation, i.e: two inches if you're using blanket, four inches if you're using vermiculite concrete.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Apprentice

Nice work Huck - your cruising. Probably going to be done before me ... ;-)

I gotta ask - what are hatch chilies?

Old 06-09-2010, 06:30 AM
Laborer

Hatch is located in the fertile Rio Grande Valley, about 40 miles north of Las Cruces. The abundant New Mexico sunshine and irrigation water from the Rio Grande River combine to produce lush crops of cotton, corn, vegetables, and of course, chile peppers. "Hatch Chile" is not actually a variety of pepper, but is a term used to describe peppers of several different varieties grown in the area. Actual variety names might include "Big Jim", "Joe Parker", "Sandia", and others. Green chile is the favorite at the beginning of the season, made into rellenos, enchiladas and stews. Later, the peppers ripen and turn red and are dried to be made into that delicious red chile sauce that flavors a multitude of dishes that will keep you warm all winter!

Old 06-09-2010, 09:24 PM
Apprentice

Wow - sounds great. Peppers are one thing that are not quite a common locally grown resource up here. I was just reading that Seattle broke a record this year - the latest we have ever gone in the year without break 75 at least once. Maybe we will have to start importing some of those.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:49 AM
Laborer

Talking Re: Huck Buld

Finally got all my materials in to do my WFO. Here are a few pictures as of this weekend, I got quite a bit accomplished. I got the soldier in and will start on the transition today.
Huck
Attached Thumbnails
Huck Buld-622fiborbors.jpg   Huck Buld-622cuttingfloor.jpg   Huck Buld-622hfsaw.jpg   Huck Buld-622floorfinish.jpg   Huck Buld-622soulders.jpg  

Old 06-14-2010, 08:44 AM
Laborer

Unhappy Re: Huck Buld

Must be trying to rush things a little too much. I started this morning to put on the second course on top of my soldiers, and the mortar had not set up hard enough and I broke to two of the soldier loose had to redo them. I had soaked by soldiers for a couple hours before installing them and they are pretty damp this morning. I guess I will work on the transition this morning and see if there hard enough tomorrow for the second course.
Huck

Old 06-16-2010, 07:37 AM
Laborer

I got a little progress yesterday by installing my reveal. Got up early this morning and started working on my arch. I had to help my neighbor trimmed trees today so I will not anything else done until tomorrow.
Huck
Attached Thumbnails
Huck Buld-615-revel.jpg   Huck Buld-616-arch.jpg