Old 10-24-2007, 10:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: How hot does entrance hearth get

Les,

My entry bricks are not mortared yet, just sitting there. They are awaiting some trimming to allow for mortar joints.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ya'll going crazy on me?

Solid brick for me!

I've gone nuts enough already!!!

My costs:

My pics:

Old 10-24-2007, 12:35 PM
Journeyman

Les

Sorry, I did not take any pictures of the cut or process. I was referring to the pictures of the landing were you can't see any difference. Ken has it right on with his drawing though. I took the 45 as far as I dared without damaging the upper or "show" corner.

Great drawing Ken and there is not such thing as "stealing" here, we are all simply "appropriating". Oh, and you are right about the mental thing!

Last edited by wlively; 10-24-2007 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Do you feel that there is that much heat thermally conducted from brick to brick to be an issue? My entire entry way is sitting on 4 inches of insulation board.

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Les,

I sort of think this whole discussion may be more about splitting hairs then really helping efficiency . I'm sure there is going to be brick to brick conduction of heat, but I'll bet it is pretty minimal.

Updated!

Old 10-24-2007, 06:20 PM
Journeyman

Les

As Ken says it is not that critical a deal. For me, I just wanted to decrease the heat of the landing enough so to make things more comfortable/safer while working the oven. You see I am just a bit clumsy. I can put my hand on the outside end of the entry and while uncomfortably hot, it is not hot enough to burn me. A minor side benefit is increasing the effeciency of heat retention.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks guy's - I never considered it to be a factor, but when it was brought up.... Paranoia sets in

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:32 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Hey all,

I'm not sure why you would want to insulate the landing from the floor. It gets hot on the inner part of the landing, as a number of folks have noted (around 400ºF+), and not that hot on the outer edge of the landing and vent/arch. Of course that's not even close to the pizza heat you have inside the oven.

With the temperatures you see around the vent landing, you can use standard mortar for construction, and you don't really have to worry about safety, any more than you would for a fireplace.

I'm thinking this is one of those areas where you can keep it simple.

Whadya think?
James

Old 10-24-2007, 06:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thank goodness!

I have to agree James!

Besides... remember the cookies!

My costs:

My pics:

Last edited by asudavew; 10-24-2007 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Well James,

You see, it's raining outside. So instead of being outside building, we are sitting inside... obsessing. Wondering what tiny bit of minutia we have forgotten that will doom our ovens into being decorative piles of brick and mortar that won't be fit to bake a Pillsbury Crescent roll.

I'm praying for good weather tomorrow so I can get away from this computer and back to the bricks.

Updated!