Old 01-31-2012, 05:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: how hard is it to build the stand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by david lyons View Post
Hi,
As regards planning. Get hold of a student's graph book. Makes it easy to scale things out without getting into complex drawings. Just make your brick size a set number of squares and assume the block to be 16 x 8x8 inches and keep the 3/8 inch discrepancy in mind if it will count for much.

Dave Ly
Great advice!
I did a very simular teqhnique. It works. Don't worry about the exact heighth when dry stacking. It can be worked out with the forms. If your blocks are 1/2 higher in one corner or in the middle than the exact heighth you were planning, just split the difference but, set your wood form level.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:30 PM
Apprentice

Great advice Gulf.....I thought I was pretty accurate in pouring my pad but found my block was 1/2 in. out of level...........just leveled the forms for the oven pad though and it all comes out level........
Old 02-18-2012, 01:12 PM
Laborer

I finished my corner stand several months ago and it came out pretty good. But, $1,300 to do it right in CA isn't too bad if the guy knows what he's doing. You need to consider forming the foundation and installing rebar, setting all the blocks dry stack (installing rebar again) and backfilling with concrete, and then the top (what a pain in the butt). Top is 2 layers: You need to form the top --- that means plywood and braces to support all the heavy wet concrete where there are no blocks and then the layer of perlite/concrete for insulation. Material is easily half the cost. But, most of us do this as a labor of love (and bragging rights). I'm going to have the dome built by a pro. I just don't have the time anymore. Best of luck.