Old 11-13-2006, 10:55 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

My two cents are here:

http://fornobravo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1194

James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:45 PM
Journeyman

Thanks all for the informative responses. I tried laying out a 43 inch dome layout, and realized there is a reason for the 42. Duh. How do we all feel about not mortaring the bottom of the soldier course? Would mortaring the outside suffice?
Old 11-17-2006, 01:21 AM
Journeyman

Yes.

The soldier brick as long as all bricks that compound the first file of the dome do not need to be mortared to hearth. These will be supported by external cladding.

Luis
Old 11-17-2006, 07:11 AM

I mortared down my soldier course, to free floating bricks, but it was only two inches high. I figured the mortaring had to start somewhere, might as well be there.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:51 PM
Journeyman

Default Underfloor cracks

Hmm. When we mixed the 1 to 1 sand, fireclay underfloor, I misread the directions, and mixed it real wet. We spread it on and leveled our floor with the wet mixture, and continued on. We set the soldier course yesterday, and I lifted a couple of floor tiles up to find that the clay had set hard, with cracks about half an inch width and unknown length running through it. I assume there are cracks under the whole floor. Will this pose a future problem when heat is thrown into the mix?
Old 11-18-2006, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbricknick
I assume there are cracks under the whole floor. Will this pose a future problem when heat is thrown into the mix?
Not at all. Some people put the stuff down with a quarter inch notched trowel, so the thing is underlaid with intentional cracks. If your floor is smooth, you're good to go.

I think Alf had the best idea: Lay the stuff down dry, lay your floor, tap it in position, then water the whole floor to set it.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:53 PM
Journeyman

Default crack shot.

Thanks DMUN. Here is a photo of the cracks. They'll probably fill up with ash I guess. I'm going to buy some heat stop to put my arch together today.

I'm editing this post.. After calling the masonry company and hearing the price for heat stop, i'm going with something else.. $165.00 a pail..
Attached Thumbnails
Home Slice-crack.jpg  

Last edited by redbricknick; 11-18-2006 at 02:04 PM.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:19 AM
Journeyman

Default Way Cheaper!

Nick

Search the net, I know the manufacturer sells 50lb bags of HeatStop50 dry for around $40-50 and even with $35 shipping, that is alot cheaper. You can also search their links for a local dealer. I found my supplier, in San Antonio and he sells it for $40 a bag.

I was also told by a local mason to buy the dry HeatStop, because the pre-wet buckets are not meant to be outdoors and wet. The dry mix is impervious to water, when cured.

Good Luck,
Wade
Old 11-19-2006, 11:56 AM
Journeyman

Good call on the dry mix. Had no idea about the wet/dry deal. I'm trying to get Heat Stop 50 to donate some of their product for the film. It'll be good product placement for them. Its going to set us back a few days though.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:02 PM
Journeyman

The opening arch. Hmm. After hours of doing, undoing, recutting arch forms, recutting bricks to fit the new arch forms, all captured in time lapse, hissy fits and all, I think I have it sorted. The plan at least. In lieu of building a masonry vent, I'm going to do an as yet decided suspended stainless vent. The opening is going to be a formed arch, with each arch brick recess cut for a door. I cut my door headers in half and then lost 2 cm off one if the halves on each side, and will custom cut each arch brick to fit a door later. (don't worry, I'm posting photos as I know I'm a rambler) I'm planning on going with the heat stop 50 to glue it all together. I spoke with the owner of the company today, and he seems likely to ship me some to be used in a product placement type scenario. The idea of some gorgeous Italian models in heat stop 50 t shirts spouting off about its wonderful ability to withstand high temperatures amuses me to no end. If Refrax has the same properties... eighth inch bonds.. cream cheese consistency, I would go with that, as I would much rather endorse a product which is available through Forno Bravo in my film.
Attached Thumbnails
Home Slice-archrecess.jpg   Home Slice-archrecess2.jpg