Old 07-13-2007, 05:51 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Home Slice

Hmm. Sounds like powdery mildew.. or downey mildew. Was the fuzz on the clusters? on the leaves? Any pics of the fuzz? I hate the fuzz, they're always tryin to keep me down.. Are the grapes sweet? try tipping the ends of the new canes.. (branches) take off about six to eight inches of the tips, leaving eight or more leaves on a branch after a cluster.. This will force the growing power into the clusters, rather than the tips of the vines.. It is likely your small grape problem occured at fruit set, in which case there ain't much more you can do.. Thinning the vine so the clusters aren't shaded helps too.. Water is definitely needed.. did you have early frosts at fruit set time?
Old 07-14-2007, 11:14 AM
Journeyman

Thanks for the reply,
the fuzz was on the stems ONLY. I found it on the stems of a few clusters and on the new canes ONLY. I tried to take a photo but could not get a close enough photo to see the detail. Frost??? maybe we had some serious cold weather up this way this winter. (serious for out here anyway) maybe. I think my problem was mostly consistent water. Did a search for powerdy mildew that wasn't it... downey either..strange its just on the stems it looks like someone took a q-tip end stretched it out lengthwise and rested it on the stem? I don't know its so hard to tell without a photo I will try again. and e-mail you if you don't mind? Probably shouldn't continue this discussion here.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'm pretty sure y'all could take it to the chit-chat forum if you prefer.

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 07-15-2007, 12:18 AM
Journeyman

Back on the subject of ovens.. We're going to lightthe first of our curing fires here soon, pre insulation.. I have some blanket insulation called fyrewrap, which we got for free from the cal sil place.. I checked, called the company and its the same as what James sells on his site, just packaged differently. They have agreed to send us another roll of insulation, and we are going to plug them in the movie. Question. Is it wise to get the oven cured and up to temp before adding the final layers so as to fix any cracks which will undoubtedly emerge? Or just go for it and git' er' did?
Old 07-15-2007, 04:56 AM
Master Builder

Based on my experience and interpretation of what goes on during drying. I'd fully insulate and do the low and slow thing with the fires.

If you can keep it dry and don't have to finish the outside right away, you can opt to pull back the insulation to check after you have been through the drying process.

Good luck.

Christo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by christo; 07-15-2007 at 06:58 AM.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:19 AM
Journeyman

I fully agree with Chris. Put the blankets on before you fire. It will be less stressful on the bricks and mortar. You can always pull back the blankets afterward if you are worried about cracks.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:36 AM
Journeyman

We did it. We lit the first curing fire last night.. It consisted of about nine cigarettes, a big tin of left over rolling tobacco, all doused with lighter fluid. We also set off a couple of little fireworks in her.. The vent draws sweetly.. I haven't had a cigarette in 24 odd hours, and i don't feel as bad as i thought I would.. I get cravings, but they only last five miinutes or so. We lit the second curing fire tonight, and I got all edgy, and left because my roommate was being a dick. It probably went alright though.

The chicken wire on the front of the vent represents where the final shape is going to go.. I'm going to lath the whole oven once its cured, and mold it to its final shape with perlite concrete..
Attached Thumbnails
Home Slice-fire-one.jpg   Home Slice-fireworkz.jpg  
Old 07-18-2007, 02:57 PM
Apprentice

Nice...

ban the roomate from eating pizza
Old 07-18-2007, 03:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Congratulations (on both counts!)

Drake
Old 07-18-2007, 08:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Start the pizza fire with lighter fluid and give him the first one...

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]