Old 07-07-2008, 05:49 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Hendo's oven continues

I have said it once and I'll say it again. The people in this forum are like family. Great job.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Hendo's oven continues

Holidays are here and time to get into those 'promised jobs'.
I have been a little slack with Hendo's oven but been rather busy with my outdoor kitchen build.
I phoned Margaret (Hendo's wife) last night and appologised for my tardiness but to check on whether anything had been done since my last visit some month ago. It was ironicle that Dallas, their brickie, also phoned me, to catch up on the oven progress.
Nothing has been done, so I get the stainless sheet this morning, cut and fold it up at school and put it together this afternoon. Thought I'd better check with the family to see whether they want lights in the vent to shine into the oven hearth as per my Pompeii. Yes was the reply, so out with the folder and fabricate the two lamp housings. Luckily I had around a dozen or so spare 240Volt downlights to use in my 'spares' supply. I will need to drill a hole in the side and through the vent firebricks of the oven to locate the cabling to the lights.
A little difficult but an estimated guess on their location and direction of aim. I have allowed some bending adjustment within the design as they will be tack welded on the bottom edge allowing the tops to be adjusted some what.
All is ready for installation so it will be across town (some 65 - 70km round trip) in the next week to fit and then start the fires. The oven is yet to be insulated, I believe the framework is yet to be bricked up, a roof constructed, the chimney put through the patio roof and the granite bench tops ordered and installed, Hendo's sink hooked up, a little painting and all ready to go for broke. Hopefully we will have it cooking in a month ready for the summer season.

Neill
Attached Thumbnails
Hendo's oven continues-hendos-hood-web.jpg   Hendo's oven continues-hendos-hood_lights-web.jpg   Hendo's oven continues-hendos-lights.jpg  

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

That's really nice work Neill. I sure wish I had metal skills (and tools!).

Updated!

Old 09-29-2008, 04:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ken.
Working with metal is much like working with wood or stone, you just need a few different tools. I wore the teeth off my hole saw trying to cut the 71mm diameter holes for the lamp housings in the 304 grade stainless steel, I cut new teeth in it but that wasn't overly successful so I cut the holes out with a worn out 1mm cutting disk in my little angle grinder. It worked a treat, just as I cut the 8" hole in the top for the flue pipes. I will make a peel for Margaret from the offcut, just as I did with mine. It works a treat for turning and removing the cooked pizzas!
Sure it takes a little longer but we need to do what needs to get the job done. Stainless steel is pretty hard and it always pays to buy the best rather than the cheapest when it comes to metal working tools and cutting/grinding discs.
All up, this unit with the lights took around 4 hours to make, the lights taking the majority of the time but they will be greatly appreciates as mine are invaluable. I will never build another oven without them!

Neill

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 09-30-2008, 07:16 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I was just checking something on my old oven building thread and there were all these helpfull posts there from hendo... back then I didn't realise he was building his oven at the same time as I was building mine. I thought he was this really experienced oven builder who'd been part of the forum for ages already.

So sad.

Neill, its great you're finishing his oven - I just wish I could fly over and help a bit. Thank you for keeping us informed.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Tuesday 7th October and the oven is well on the way to completion.
Dallas the brickie will finish all the brickwork tomorrow in readiness for the chippie to timber the roofing.
I installed the stainless vent (needed a block of wood, some brick cleaning and a few precise hammer blows to vibrate it into place) and it fits beautifully.
Dallas sealed around the vent and then laid the remaining bricks. Paul wanted a feature on the larger plain side wall and this is where we will possibly put the plaque in for Paul.
I have changed the oven illumination and now need to make a couple of nice stainless mounts for the pre-purchased LED plastic lights which will be mounted outside of the void on the facia arch and as high as practicable.

Neill
Attached Thumbnails
Hendo's oven continues-kitchen-web.jpg   Hendo's oven continues-oven-entrance-web.jpg   Hendo's oven continues-stainless-vent-web.jpg   Hendo's oven continues-side-oven-web.jpg  

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 09-19-2009, 03:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Some news to please.
I got a call from Margaret last week, (Hendo's widow), and she has his outdoor kitchen and oven almost finished.
Things have taken a while to complete (Paul was very thorough in his endevors) and the family has renovated the house and grounds since his passing.
I am told that Iam invited and to take some pizza bases out for the grand opening of Pauls entertainment outdoor kitchen.
I will post some pics and competed detail of the event.

Neill