Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 07:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Hendo Gauge / IT

Here is what I did, I took a swivel caster removed the wheel and replaced it with a swing arm the correct length and a small through bold at the caster holding the swing arm.. In your case the arm to the brick stop will be about 20". The swing arm could be a wood dowel or aluminum or whatever will work for you. I'm indicating a Lowes item, but any hardware store will have a selection of these sorts of things.

Waxman 1-1/4" Plastic Swivel Casters
Lowes Item #: 66941 | Model #: 4265499NN

Look at Post 25
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/sc...ld-7035-3.html (SC Chris's 42" WFO build)

Sincerely

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Hendo Gauge / IT-caster.jpg  
Old 03-03-2013, 12:00 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCChris View Post
Here is what I did, I took a swivel caster removed the wheel and replaced it with a swing arm the correct length and a small through bold at the caster holding the swing arm.. In your case the arm to the brick stop will be about 20". The swing arm could be a wood dowel or aluminum or whatever will work for you. I'm indicating a Lowes item, but any hardware store will have a selection of these sorts of things.

Waxman 1-1/4" Plastic Swivel Casters
Lowes Item #: 66941 | Model #: 4265499NN

Look at Post 25
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/sc...ld-7035-3.html (SC Chris's 42" WFO build)

Sincerely

Chris
Thanks so much. How would you attach the swing arm if it was a threaded metal rod or dowel. Maybe I should just go to Lowes and get my hands on the Swivel Caster to get a better idea. I notice that a lot of people talk about adjusting the swing arm as you go to make up for the pivot not being directly at the floor level. Just wondering really how crucial this is. A 40" oven will only have the swing arm shorten by the time your done by about a half inch. This seems like it's not that big of a deal to keep the arm length the same throughout. Is it?

Last edited by K79; 03-03-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Hendo Gauge / IT

K79,
there are a couple of options that other members have used which are inexpensive and do the job.
One that I can't immediately find the thread, used a hinge, the old type that was used on a gate with a ling tapered wing that a rod was attatched to and the other hinge side screwed loosly to the pivot point.
Another is ad I found in the search for the indispensable tool.

Cheers,

Neill
Attached Thumbnails
Hendo Gauge / IT-castor.jpg   Hendo Gauge / IT-castor-angle.jpg   Hendo Gauge / IT-tool-setup.jpg  

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I didn't shorten the arm, it was the same throughout the build and to attach the rod I just drilled a hole near enough to the end that the arm didn't bind.. I fastened a short piece of angle iron to limit the bricks distance from the pivot point again I just drilled the rod and L and bolted them together. I found that the angle iron, the L metal, didn't need to be very big and in fact a bigger L dislodged the brick rather than supporting the brick, to just set, and then easily sliding freely away. It's a bit difficult to describe this without some first hand experience. Anyway, the Hendo, the IT, is a very simple but elegant device. If you build it, it will work.

Chris

Last edited by SCChris; 03-03-2013 at 02:05 PM.