Old 09-18-2010, 12:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Heat break plan

John I'm using a through the door FB thermometer for the readings. It's consistent with the IR gun for loss over time but the specific internal oven air temps from the through door does differ from what I get from the IR reading the floor. I'm not concerned by the differences between the two floor isn't going to be exacly the same as the air temp at the door. I know I said it before, there is an interesting period of time from closing the oven after the pizza burn that lasts between 12 and 24 hours where the temp loss curve is steeper. I think this is where the oven mass is still charging with the higher inner oven temps. The 100F loss per 24 hour slope sets in when the oven gets to about 500F.

I was thinking about how to calculate the oven's mass and the loss of temp and try to calculate the amount of energy that it might take to keep the oven at 200F. I'm wondering about running a solar panel that powers a heating element inside the oven just to hold these low temps. To what advantage, I bet the first 24 hours of accelerated heat loss would be less accute, also I wonder if it's feasable to keep the temps at the 250 to 275 area where roasting, or reheating, anything, is always a quick option.

It'd sure be a interesting way to get the curing started.
Chris
Old 09-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Chris,
The higher the temp the greater the heat loss, so it's not a straight line graph. Firing a kiln works the same way. It's easy to get to 1000 C but to go over 1200 C takes more than double the energy because of the heat loss. Cooling down works the opposite way rapid heat loss to start then slower as the temp drops.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I noted that the heat transfer through the Cal Si board shows faster flow at higher temp. It seems that the first 24 or so hours or down to about 500 - 550F flows the heat about 150% of the lower than 500F temps, about 150F over the first 24 hours rather than 100F. David are you a ceramics person? I was focused on ceramics in college for awhile, some cooking was done on these ovens. I remember a bit of cooking over a tunnel kiln years after my college. The job I had at the time was refinishing slip cast items to refire. Some of the ladies would put a pot of pork stew on top of the exit area, heat a few tortillas and lunch was served. I loved the food that came off that kiln...

Chris
Old 02-08-2011, 02:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Chris,
I've just picked up this thread, been on holiday in Europe for 10 weeks. A thing we have in Australia where everyone who has worked at the same place for 10 years gets 10 weeks holiday on full pay. Yes I am a ceramics person and have built about 6 kilns over the years which has given me a fair understanding of heat and fire. Built one out of mud brick as an experiment and the inside face of the mud brick sheared off in melted sheets because of the fluxable material of the brick, at about 1100 C