Old 05-24-2012, 06:44 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Hearth concrete mixed too dry? Need to start over?

-I wouldn't do anything to it until you are ready to finish the outside of the stand. You can fill in the holes with whatever material you are planing on covering it with. This is not a project that you want to rush.

-Let the oven evolve. Good Luck

Mike
Old 10-21-2012, 09:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

How is that oven going? have you put anything on the pad yet?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:00 PM
Serf

I've been really negligent and haven't posted anything... I left the pad as-is and started right away on the oven. I had hoped to be finished by now, but many long weeks at work stopped my progress through the middle of the summer. I'm currently working on course 8. (Photos are from completed course 6 [last weekend] and course 7 [today].)

I was cutting poorly-calculated angles on courses 5-7 so those courses are fairly ugly, but I redid my jig for course 8 and that one should end up better.
Attached Thumbnails
Hearth concrete mixed too dry? Need to start over?-2012-10-13-17.00.28.jpg   Hearth concrete mixed too dry? Need to start over?-2012-10-21-18.00.07.jpg  

Last edited by seattlecaveman; 10-21-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks for the update. That looks good. It seems so impossible, but you are very close to dome closing. My experience was that the dome was less than half the work, but YMMV based on what you want to do with your enclosure.

Oh, and try my calculator spreadsheet if you want an easy way to calculate angles for your jig setup

Last edited by deejayoh; 10-22-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:08 PM
Serf

Yeah, my new jig is based on the calculations from your spreadsheet. (If only you had posted that in May...) I can only get my jig up to about 30 degrees due to the restrictions of my saw, but that will be a far better result than my previous 8 degree jig.

I'm going to finish my dome, then shut down the project for the winter. Next spring I'll build up the entrance and insulate. I'll probably stucco the insulation to hold me over until I can build the final housing around it in the following year.