Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 09:23 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Gus's Corner - Timo's Build

Timo, your breads look beautiful - what a thrilling experience it must be, eh?
I can't wait for the experience!
cecelia
Old 09-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Master Builder

Timo, your Breads are looking great. I've only baked a few loaves myself. Been too focused on pizza and work.

Cecelia, sounds like you are getting started in a big way. Please take lots of pics and you might even start your own oven diary!!

Lars, saw your pics today - that oven and the area around it is looking great

Christo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:07 PM
Apprentice

Here's some more pics of the oven.
This one shows the flagstone known as El Capitan.

In the rain, it looks like the doors are doing what I wanted to do, which is keep rain and eventually the snow out.

I placed some flagstone in the cooking area with screenings between the stones. I used one giant, thicker and larger stone about 2x4, set so I can step on it when cooking. I call it El Capitan. Everyone looks at me like I am crazy, but I am the chief on the rock when it's time to work the oven at 800+ degrees.

The iron hangers on the sides are... iron dachshund heads. The ones on the right hold the oven door when not needed. The one on the left will be for paddles and such.

The doors were actually made out of some treated wood I salvaged from a ramp Gus once used to travel up and down to do his daily routines. After 14 years it finally caught up with him and his joints and just about everything else was making it too hard to do anything but travel flat. Still miss that little dog a lot and can almost see him sniffing everything out and then blessing it all in his own special way.

I had to cut the inside edge of the doors at a 45 so when they close they don't hit the walls. The gate latch seems to work well as a clasp . There is a bit of play but that is alright. I found an old cart on the roadside that I thought would work well. It is all metal with two side flaps that fold up and a center area with a small metal draw. There is also a small shelf underneath were I should be able to store wood for the night so I don't have to keep going back under the oven when cooking.

A few more weeks I will paint the stucco dome and perhaps the walls.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:52 PM
Apprentice

Here's an update of the stucco. I kinda went a bit off from the intended color with the walls and dome, but it certainly looks interesting. Still in the drying stages, though. I think they will dry a lighter shade. Either way I am happy and the wood storage is full. I have been waiting for the final stucco layer to cure before firing it up really hot again. The self-bonding fortified stucco is really some solid stuff. I am very happy so far with the way it sets up.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I really like the colors Timo. The whole oven is very appealing. Great job! You make it look easy. Congratulations on a job well done. Cheers, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 10:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Timo, I really like your oven. A simple, classic, and timeless design. It would have looked great and fit in perfectly 100 yrs ago and mostly certainly will 100 yrs in the future.
Great work!

RT
Old 10-16-2009, 11:27 AM
Apprentice

Dino and RTFlorida, thank you for your nice words. This weekend is the first really big pizza party. I have 80#'s of flour and I'll use as much as I need

It's the neighborhood-what-the-?$#$-is-party. Lot's of interested onlookers who will get their first chance to actually make a pizza and watch it bake in 3 minutes or less.

Should be fun! Any words of wisdom?
Old 10-16-2009, 11:52 AM
Journeyman

Yeah, Timo,
'Bundle up'... ( my words of wisdom)

If it is as cold there as it is here, you'll want to do like my 16 yr old daughter said a few weeks ago, "... it looks so cosy, I wish I could just crawl in there( to the oven fire)"
Old 10-29-2009, 07:54 PM
Banned

Hello to all

If you are just going to bake bread, then you should operate your oven the traditional way, with embers left to die or swept out of the wood pizza bread oven. This is the only way you can build up the steam inside the oven to give you the ultimate crust. But if you are baking pizza and making foods for dinner, roasting a chicken, a leg of lamb, potatoes, baking a pie, etc., then I suggest keeping a small fire in the oven, as they do in restaurants. This makes it very easy. After that, put your breads in and close the wooden oven's door which has been soaked in a bucket of water. You may watch oven's temperature using an oven thermometer to see how hot you are. But you don't really have to go into the expense of buying a thermometer. How to figure this out is easy, please read my tutorial on how to find out how hot your wood oven is, the traditional sure way as I used to do it. Now I don't really check the temperature any more, and you will not need too either after cooking for the third time

Thanks for sharing
Have a nice day
Old 10-29-2009, 07:59 PM
Apprentice

I was always under the impression that after doing pizzas and it was time to bake bread, one raked out the embers, then mopped the oven floor which would also add to the steam in the oven. But I've never baked bread (or pizzas) in a WFO....yet! So what do I know!

c