Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2009, 08:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Gus's Corner - Timo's Build

Great job Timo on the insulating blanket. I've 4" on top of mine and it never gets warm on top. Your oven will heat like the best of them and you'll be really happy with it. Also, good that you took the insulation to the arch walls too.
Congratulations, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 06:50 AM
Apprentice

Thanks, Dino. Your oven house looks like it will really keep the elements out. The lights are neat, too. I should have thought more about lighting. I am thinking I will do some low voltage solar lights in the rock surrounding the foundation.

Here's a picture of my attempt at a chimney. I won't be quitting my day job anytime soon. Let's just say it fits into the rustic brick look. I ended up splitting the bricks down the middle and using the halves.

Here's a picture of my very first "food" cooked in the oven. It's organic wheat berries I malted and then dried in the oven. It was still 120 degrees a day after my third curing firing, which is just right for drying the berries. I hope to use the malt flour to get a starter going.

Dino, I hope your oven doesn't give you any more fits. I did learn from your experience and perhaps can offer another curing method for people. I used a fire pit to burn wood into coals, then put the coals into the oven. A bit of stacking of the coals and it would fire up. Laying them out would knock the flame out. I preheated the oven first with a propane grill to 225 degrees for 2-3 hours, then started up with the coals for 4-6 hours. Still crossing my fingers not to see any huge cracks.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:52 AM
Apprentice

Here's a picture of the chimney crown and cap. I found a stainless steel cap for $36 at Lowe's that I liked. The black was one was cheaper, but this shouldn't rust for a very long time and it fit perfectly on the flue tile.

Here's a loaf of wheat sourdough. I really don't know what I am doing, but that's the whole point. I'll have many years, hopefully, of testing different recipes and techniques. It came out at midnight. Quietly I slide it out and was surprised that the bottom was only slightly burned. I just couldn't wait to see what I had done. I ate the whole thing over the next day. It didn't matter how it tasted, it was a loaf of bread from the oven I built and it actually works...pretty well, too. The oven keeps temps over 400 degrees 24 hours later. It's still 175 degrees four days later. Dang.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:59 AM
Journeyman

Timo,
Wow. It has GOT to be the door then. I have noticed my oven loses most of its heat very soon after firing. I plan to make a stainless steel door, but.. I should probably make myself a wood door fairly quickly to make sure my oven will hold heat!.

I bought the same exact chimney cap from Lowes!

Lars.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:57 PM
Apprentice

This has been a great thread to read through - but it is making me quite nervous!
REALLY nervous, in fact.
I haven't laid my floor yet - I want to put in an extra thermal mass.
I want to get greedy and see exactly how big I can get my oven!

My sister and fam just spent a bit of time in Door County -
AND I make Desem almost every day! It's the greatest and I can't wait to make it in the oven...

But...I'm getting nervous!

Cecelia
Old 08-29-2009, 10:51 PM
Apprentice

Here's another update on the oven. I made my first pizza. It was not what I thought it would be, but still turned out pretty good. I later decided that the recipe I had used included olive oil which burned the crust. The following try was with the Reinhart recipe which turned out fantastic.

The wooden peel I made from some left oven maple wood from another project. I rubbed it with some mineral oil to cure it a bit. I think I need to take the belt sander to it to get a thinner edge.

Here's some baguettes.

My father-in-law happen to have saved an old Teflon baguette rising tray from his days in working with certain restaurant chains. It only holds 5 loaves at a time, but it worked out well. Crispy, crunchy crust with a chewy crumb. Oven was too cool for a nice, all over browned top. Gives me a reason to try again next week. Also I over-proofed them. But for my first baguettes...me likey bread.

If you want to see a short, jittery movie of the first pizza in the oven, try this.

CecilB, I can only speak for myself and my cooking needs. I need an oven that will heat up fast and retain enough for 1-2 good bakes. With no additional thermal mass the oven heats up well in 1 1/2hours, but my oven is still curing.

There were many areas of craziness in doing this project so far. Just make it your own and do it your way, but read as much as you can and follow best practices as best you can.

Lars, I worked with a steel fabricator in town, maybe that's something you can try. He sold me the steel for the door for $15, the real cost($55) was in cutting it in the arch shape. That 304 stainless is tough stuff and am glad I had them do it. A lot of times there is steel left over from larger jobs and they'll sell it to you pretty cheap.

Timo
Old 09-07-2009, 07:54 AM
Apprentice

Here's the dome with three coats of stucco.

http://ovenblog.timttech.com/now/gallery/1/fire_hot.mov
Must be curing and the use of hard wood, but the heat really builds easier now and lasts a lot longer. I still am working on the art in artisan bread. It is not easy to handle the oven and dough so both cooperate at the same time, but time will work things out I guess.

There are things that have turned out very well, though. Here are stuffed mushrooms and my first focaccia.

I don't have pictures of any of the pizzas because I was too busy cooking and forgot to get the camera. There were some pizzas that came out charred and crispy, with some peppercinis on top with some sausage that were outstanding.

My wife still thinks I am nuts for building this, though. Just good clean fun
Old 09-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Apprentice

Timo,

It all looks great.. I wish I had been able to get down and see it before school started back up...I am way too busy right now and working franticly to try and get my own oven done.

Peter
Old 09-09-2009, 07:07 AM
Apprentice

Yes, I've decided to just do a single layer of brick - no purchasing any more brick - And I figure with as think of insulation I have, I should be ok.

I finally bought the Harbor Freight tile/brick cutter...after buying the brick cutting tool. I think it'll be less frustration in the long run...

So, the floor is laid out, but I'm sure I'll need a bit of fireclay/sand mixture to level a few bricks out. .... Then, I will make a template for the whole floor - see how big I can get away with.

It is taking forever! Probably because I spend too much time in the kitchen! AAACK!

Cecelia
Old 09-09-2009, 08:38 AM
Journeyman

Timo,
I have to say, for 'not knowing what you are doing', you seem to be able to bake a loaf of sourdough pretty convincingly.

My attempt was, shall we say, more sour than dough. Believe it or not, I am so used to not believing things I read, I just couldn't imagine that a metal spoon would 'kill the starter'. Well, it gets VERY sour... and doesn't rise when you use a metal fork to stir it up. My second batch is, at least, alive, but... the bread took too long to rise. I will be on round three next.

My door ( see pics on my thread... oven CRA!CK) should work okay. Did you leave the fire in there overnight to maintain that high ( over 400 degrees) temp?

Lars.