Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2009, 09:05 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Gus's Corner - Timo's Build

Hi timo have you tried Illinios brick or a place called Roselle Supplies in Roselle I got mine there call them maybe they deliver or take a ride, on Irving rt.19 west of Roselle rd.or there is a company in south holland Armil Inc. they have all that is needed for the oven and they deliver you name they have it .
Old 06-23-2009, 05:23 AM
Apprentice

Mavona, thanks for the heads up on those. I see Illinois Brick has a place in Des Plaines so I'll give them a call. I am up here in Gurnee, so I was hoping to find a few places willing to sell that stuff up here.

Also there's a place call Clay Products in Spring Grove I'll give a call to also.

Thanks much,

Timo
Old 06-23-2009, 09:41 AM
Apprentice

Have you tried a pottery supply store for your fireclay? They'll probably have bags available for you.

Quote:
#3. I need fireclay. Get this, Brad at ACME Brick in Waukegan would rather have me spend $75 on a 5 gallon pail of premix then order some $14 bags of fireclay for me. I just spend $300 of brick, so I need to do something to keep expenses down a bit. No one wants to sell me fireclay dang it.
Anytime I buy something from ACME, I either end up being slingshot directly into a cliff, or the canon malfunctions, or the springs operate unpredictably.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:17 PM
Apprentice

Today I found fireclay for $11.40 a 50# bag at Clay Products in Spring Grove, Illinois. I also bought 150 regular firebricks, and some interesting #2 tapered firebricks. I think I got a deal on them, but now I need to decide on an arch.

Here's what I have so far. Height is about 13", but that's rough with 3/16" mortar gaps. Width is about 18" The questions I have (seeing how I've never done anything like this before) are:

Is the overall design sound? Will this vent area be enough? The #2 tapered brick is 8 1/4" Should I taper the ends of the brick across the top to lock in vertically? Shoule I cut the tapered bricks in half? Any ideas for reveal? I was thinking I could cut in the brick like a long "L"

-Timo

Old 06-24-2009, 07:30 AM
Peasant

You lucky dog! I am looking for arch brick for building my oven. I plan on building @ 42" inside diameter and would prefer finding #1 arch brick.

IF the brick you have are standard, the taper probably goes (2 1/2" - 1 6/8").
The bricks I am looking for are #1 Arch that taper at ( 2 1/2" - 2 1/8").

So you can use these exactly like in the plans, cut in half, etc. EXCEPT you get to use a lot less mortar between rings! As a matter of fact, if you go with one row/ring of your #2 Arch and one row of "straights" ( normal, untapered brick) without any thick wedges of mortar you would naturally end up with a dome with a radius of around 21" ... a 42" inside diameter! That would average out to be almost identical to my plan of using #1 Arch brick in my rings. Cool.
So you can get by with 1/16" thick mortar joints between the rings. You will still have the spaces between the 'ends' of the brick to fill with cement mix.
You are very lucky!

(The above is based on many years working for A.P Green Refractories as an Engineer in the field).
Old 06-24-2009, 10:08 AM
Laborer

Gus, the build looks great so far. I wish I would have found some of those arch bricks. Would have saved me a lot of cutting and mortar. Just a thought, but I don't think I saw any footers in your foundation slab. If you live in northern IL, I am assuming you have a frost line. It is too late now, so hopefully you will not have any movement from the frost. Keep up the good work. Looks like you are on the move to a speedy build.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Laborer

Timo, looking at your arch layout, I think you want that center brick(the one laying flat where the vent opening is) to have some bevel on the ends. More like a keystone shape. I think if you lay up your arch bricks tight on both sides of the vent you'll end up with a taper to the center section and you can cut that angle on your center brick ends.

I used standard firebrick and cut the long "L" shape you are describing to get the reveal at the arch, which worked nicely.

Those taper bricks are nice, I couldn't find them in Chicago at any price.

Doug
Old 06-24-2009, 08:55 PM
Apprentice

I am hoping to do two things to manage the frost: First, keep it dry. I packed 2 yards of crushed rock under the slab and set drain tile and river rock around the perimeter down to the crushed rock level. Also, I am hoping to keep the overall height about the same as width. It was a tough call. I told the inspector I'll do whatever you recommend to be safe and his comments were about the height not being much beyond the width should keep it good. We'll see come spring.

I did bevel the keystone in the arch so it drops into place and locks in the arch. I just have to mention though, I am using a small tile saw and a hammer and chisel to make all these cuts. I laid out the hearth floor bricks and cut them today. I'll post a picture tomorrow. Very interesting stuff to cut. Firebrick seems to be softer than porcelain, but when I checked my blade...it shrunk a bunch!
Old 06-25-2009, 01:11 PM
Apprentice

Timo,

You must have gotten a good deal on them...They told me they don't carry them..Darn, I was planning to get some, now maybe I will have to cut my own. or not we will see. I did luck out on a saw though; my best friends twin brother has his own masonary co. and he is going to lend me one.

Peter
Old 06-25-2009, 01:19 PM
Apprentice

Depending on how many you are looking for I may have some left over. I haven't finished the arches yet, but I have 40 full, and split I have 80, which is more than I need. I'll let you know how it goes maybe you can use them for yours, too.

Timo