Old 05-15-2011, 09:54 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: gt40's Pompeii Oven 42" build log

Which way is the wood storage opening and which way is the ovens front. I would guess that the oven opening is on the deck side and it looks like the wood storage opening is on the back?

Mike
Old 05-15-2011, 10:22 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Which way is the wood storage opening and which way is the ovens front. I would guess that the oven opening is on the deck side and it looks like the wood storage opening is on the back?

Mike
The side facing the deck may have a smaller arched storage section cut out of hardy board with a frame behind it for storing a small amount of wood for fire tending but you are right- the open end is where there is no bottom cross member opposite the deck. I will make an arch and some doors on that.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:30 PM
Laborer

Update:

We got the metal frame bolted to the foundation and the upper slab poured. Here a few more pics:

stand supports:

upper slab:

overview shot:

Thanks for looking
Old 05-16-2011, 06:43 PM
Laborer

I got home and the slab hardened and looks great except I found there was a spider crack on the top:

It was crazy california weather with hot sun, wind, clouds and a sudden 20 degree drop in temps after we poured. I My contractor says it won't effect things structurally with all the rebar we put in and no one will see it either although I could see he was tweaked about it.

One last shot:

Last edited by gt40; 05-16-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:42 PM
Journeyman

You have to keep it wet for a week, covered. Let it cure slowly.

Mike
Old 05-16-2011, 07:43 PM
Apprentice

Does that crack follow the seam you see running underneath the frame? What is supporting the concrete (between metal frame and concrete)?

Tell me about the weird California weather. We were getting into summer a couple of weeks ago - high was 53 yesterday and rain/thunder/lightning. More rain today - the opening day of the Amgen Tour of California (bike race) was cancelled yesterday and today they moved the start out of the Tahoe basin because of snow . . .
Old 05-16-2011, 07:57 PM
Journeyman

Yea cheesesteake, this weather is not normal. It is slowing me down, but what can I do.

Mike
Old 05-16-2011, 08:08 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
Does that crack follow the seam you see running underneath the frame? What is supporting the concrete (between metal frame and concrete)?

Tell me about the weird California weather. We were getting into summer a couple of weeks ago - high was 53 yesterday and rain/thunder/lightning. More rain today - the opening day of the Amgen Tour of California (bike race) was cancelled yesterday and today they moved the start out of the Tahoe basin because of snow . . .
The crack is not following the seam but is 70 degrees perpendicular. I have a rebar grid in the concrete with some remesh so steel is reinforcing it throughout inside the mix. I was going to weld a cross bar but my contractor said the frame was already overbuilt. Here is the pic i put up earlier that shows the support underneath:

Thanks everyone for the feedback
Old 05-17-2011, 09:47 AM
Laborer

How tall is that thing? it might just be the photo but it looks like the stand is almost taller than people around it.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:29 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriggsARNP View Post
How tall is that thing? it might just be the photo but it looks like the stand is almost taller than people around it.
It's not that high but it is higher for 2 reasons. First, i made it 3" higher than the Pompeii plans. They show a 32" height at the top of the concrete upper foundation. I decided to go a hair higher so I made the frame 3" higher than the cinder blocks would normally be.

Second, I am building the oven off a raised deck so I had to compensate for the deck height of 12". Together, the oven height is 15" higher than a normal ground level build. If you are on the deck where the oven opening will be, it will only be 3" higher than normal.

With the metal frame covered with hardy board, It should be a really large amount of storage