Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Pompeii Oven Construction (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Greg's Pompeii 42" - San Diego (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/gregs-pompeii-42-san-diego-6169.html)

geisen 02-22-2009 09:58 PM

Greg's Pompeii 42" - San Diego

3 Attachment(s)
After hours of reading, studying and the occasional newbie question, I am ready to begin. Though actually I kinda cheated. When I designed my backyard landscape, I had the contractors build my stand. I know, I know, I should have done it myself, but the backyard was a huge project and too much for one man. I did my last backyard and lost a year of weekends. So while most of these threads start with a foundation, mine will start with the stand.

geisen 02-22-2009 10:08 PM

Re: Greg's Pompeii 42" - San Diego

2 Attachment(s)
First step, site prep. A little spouse negotiation :rolleyes: included getting the rest of the backyard done first. Now I have the problem of trying to keep from trashing everything around the worksite; thus the plywood on the ground. Made a small start with framing out the Insulating hearth.

acbova 02-23-2009 05:05 AM

That looks great. If I could I would do exactly what you did there. I look forward to watching your build.

exceloven 02-23-2009 06:34 AM

Greg, Great start! I love your patio cover/deck. The stone arches and cement railing are amazing. Did you add that to the house? Looking forward to following your build. Maybe in person.

Mark

Modthyrth 02-23-2009 07:31 AM

pretty pretty pretty! Our house has a dinky (minimum code requirement 10x10) covered patio, and I'd love to do something like what you have. Great setting for your oven!

Ken524 02-23-2009 09:19 AM

Love the initial work and stand. That will be a nice area.

Dino_Pizza 02-23-2009 10:54 AM

Hi Greg, there is no such thing as cheating on the build. Having the stand done for you means you get more time to think and fine tune every other aspect of the oven construction. I love the stone arches on the stand. I may have to steal your idea ;). Good luck, Dino

geisen 02-23-2009 11:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
acbova: Thanks.
exceloven: 2yrs ago it was all dirt, see attached. Invitation is always open for free labor and expertise :D.
Modtyrth: 10x10 sounds like enough room for a Jacuzzi/WFO combo.
Ken: Thanks
Dino: Been lurking on your thread for months. Your photos and detailed explanations have been great. Keep it up.

Modthyrth 02-24-2009 07:06 AM

You'd think that 10x10 is a reasonable size--until you realize that it's right in front of the french doors leading into the back yard, which are about 9 feet wide. If I put anything out there, I completely block access to the backyard, unfortunately. We built our outdoor kitchen area adjacent to it, and plan on putting up curtains and treating it as kind of an outdoor foyer until we can rip it down and do something more grand like yours. Someday. Once the porch isn't completely covered with tools and bags of masonry materials. ;-)

SteveP 02-25-2009 04:03 PM

The stone work looks fantastic; it looks like a great area for entertaining. The WFO should really set off your back yard now. Looking forward to seeing the finished oven.