Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 01:32 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Greg's Pompeii 42" - San Diego

Greg
Your WFO is fantastic. I'm in the endless reviewing of builds, drawing and redrawing plans in prep for my own build and I noticed in your photos that the keystone of your inner arch is slightly larger than the other bricks in the arch. I assume this was done to assist with the transition from arch to dome. What size are your arch bricks and how much larger is the keystone and do you think it helped with the transition?

Thanks
Phil
Old 03-03-2010, 07:04 PM
Apprentice

Phil
Thank you for the kind words.
I would like to say there was some great engineering plan on the different size keystone, but in fact it just kinda came out that way because of the scrap piece of brick it was cut from and i didn't feel like cutting it again to size. It may have given more support to the corresponding arch, but I didn't plan it that way. But is sure makes good bread ;-)
good luck.
Keep the questions coming.
Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Greg's Pompeii 42" - San Diego-img_0298.jpg   Greg's Pompeii 42" - San Diego-img_0332.jpg  

Click to see my Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Click to see Google web album:

Old 03-04-2010, 09:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Greg, what is happening to us in SoCal! You have to cook in the rain ? (I keep telling my gardener that they don't take the day off in Oregon when it rains or else they'd never get anything done)

Those loaves of bread are beautiful. I take it they were from the wfo? One lookes like it was pan baked, the other hearth. Is that right?

BTW: oven looks beautiful. I never really noticed how your stone crawls over the edge of your outer arch bricks. Looks great. I may do something similar since I cant find an arch facade material or keystone to my liking.

At least your not building in the rain, just cookin' , Cheers, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 10:56 PM
Apprentice

Dino,
Thanks for the kind words.
The loaves of bread are actually four pizza dough balls combined into two loaves. I let them rise overnight and baked them in the morning. One free loaf and one in a pan. Cooked in about 12 minutes. awesome.
gg

Click to see my Thread:

Old 04-04-2010, 11:16 AM
Apprentice

Happy Easter. Pizza and eggs.

Click to see my Thread:

Old 04-04-2010, 08:31 PM
Journeyman

Happy Easter Greg,
I finished my dome this week posted the "I" tool as available. Yesterday my wife Cathy was looking through the finished ovens section and when she came to yours, she exclaimed- "this is beautiful, have you seen this one". I came over to the computer, and said yeah, I put some bricks in that one. Nice job, I hope you and your family are well and enjoying your oven. Thanks for the help and advice.

Eric

Last edited by eprante; 04-04-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:09 PM
Apprentice

Easter Pizza's. One of our favorites.......Desert Pizza: Butter, Brown Sugar, Cinnamon, apple and strawberries.
Attached Thumbnails
Greg's Pompeii 42" - San Diego-2010-04-04-easter-pizza-2   Greg's Pompeii 42" - San Diego-2010-04-04-easter-pizza-3   Greg's Pompeii 42" - San Diego-2010-04-04-easter-pizza.jpg  

Click to see my Thread:

Old 04-05-2010, 11:13 PM
Apprentice

Fire is pretty.
Attached Thumbnails
Greg's Pompeii 42" - San Diego-2010-04-04-easter-pizza-12   Greg's Pompeii 42" - San Diego-2010-04-04-easter-pizza-13   Greg's Pompeii 42" - San Diego-2010-04-04-easter-pizza-8  

Click to see my Thread:

Old 04-06-2010, 10:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Greg, your Easter desert pic looks great! I've yet to make a desert pizza so that looks like a good one to try.
-Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 09:52 PM
Apprentice

Stop everything you are doing! Rush out and get the items for this recipe for the day after your next pizza party. Lebanese Lamb Stew. Fantastic.
Attached Thumbnails
Greg's Pompeii 42" - San Diego-20100422-lebanese-stew.jpg   Greg's Pompeii 42" - San Diego-20100421-pizza-party-rain-9-.jpg   Greg's Pompeii 42" - San Diego-20100421-pizza-party-rain-4-.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Labanese Lamb Stew.pdf (13.4 KB, 119 views)

Click to see my Thread: