Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Greg's Pompeii 42" - San Diego

I love the way you got rid of your dome cracks. That'll work, those blighters won't bother you ever again...

I'll chime in on all the advice you got for your archway crack, too, shall I? Not that I'm an experienced builder or anything, but for what its worth it looks a bit like one of the cracks I've got. So I think you should be fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wow Greg, looks fantastic.
Sorry about the cracks, they don't look bad, really. Your transition looks big. It's gonna draw air well. I just love your big entry. Looks way cool. Can't wait to see it finished.
Your brick work is pretty good, you've shaped the arch bricks property so the cracks shouldn't (IMO) move the brick. Like you said gravity and the good cuts you made will hold it together. I think our ovens can sustain a certain percentage of cracks (even semi-serious ones) and hold up just fine.
Cheers, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 09:36 AM
Apprentice

Dino and Frances
thanks for the reassurance and compliments. I figured the amount of pain and suffering it would take to fix the cracks would be tremendous; and why bother if it works and nothing falls down. When the arch collapses, my great-great-grandson can fix it.
Putting My Head Back In the Sand,
Greg

Click to see my Thread:

Click to see Google web album:

Old 09-03-2009, 05:39 PM
Apprentice

Awesome brickwork! I might have to invest in an economic wet saw from Harbor Freight. Greg, have you taken your infrared readings yet? I am leaning towards a napoleon style oven for better pizza and I'm curious about your measurements.
-Darius
Old 09-03-2009, 06:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Too bad about the cracks, sad to say - they are gonna happen.
Good luck with that arch crack...I've dug mine out for the 4th time and will fill again as soon as the daily rains subside. I know it does not really affect anything.....it just drives me crazy, staring me in the face.

RT
Old 09-04-2009, 07:15 AM
Apprentice

Darius
Just got my IR in the mail Monday and am itching to fire it up this weekend. Haven't run it at a full burn yet. probably this weekend. I will post results.

RT
I am going to leave the arch crack alone unless the structure fails. Like the cracks appearing in my face, they add character.

Click to see my Thread:

Old 09-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Apprentice

Well the curing fires are done and the first pizzas went in. Made the dough the day before, using King Arthur Bread Flour and active dry yeast. Not the best choice but figured while i was learning i could hold off on tracking down the expensive stuff. first pizza wasn't pretty, a little thick and unevenly cooked....but it was an acomplishment none the less.
Attached Thumbnails
Greg's Pompeii 42" - San Diego-2009-09-07-first-pizza-night   Greg's Pompeii 42" - San Diego-2009-09-07-first-pizza-night   Greg's Pompeii 42" - San Diego-2009-09-07-first-pizza-night   Greg's Pompeii 42" - San Diego-2009-09-07-first-pizza-night   Greg's Pompeii 42" - San Diego-2009-09-07-first-pizza-night  

Click to see my Thread:

Old 09-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Apprentice

2nd pizza I was pretty proud of. thought I had the hang of it and the third pizza stuck coming off the peel......ughhhh what a mess. One of our favorite things about our little pizza place in Gaeta Italy was their Foccachia. Just the crust, olive oil, rosemary, and sea salt...yum. Now I can't wait to get the right flour and yeast.
Attached Thumbnails
Greg's Pompeii 42" - San Diego-2009-09-07-first-pizza-night   Greg's Pompeii 42" - San Diego-2009-09-07-first-pizza-night   Greg's Pompeii 42" - San Diego-2009-09-07-first-pizza-night   Greg's Pompeii 42" - San Diego-2009-09-07-first-pizza-night   Greg's Pompeii 42" - San Diego-2009-09-07-first-pizza-night  

Click to see my Thread:

Old 09-08-2009, 06:24 PM
Apprentice

Help!!!!!!
Calling all Master Mason's to comment.
The third brick from the left of my outside arch dropped down an inch at high temp. I grabbed a small piece of metal and used it as a wedge to put it back in place (you can see the piece of metal in the photo at the top left side of the offending brick).

Once the oven cooled, the peice of metal wedged in really tight.

The crack goes from the outside arch up to the base of the chimminey.

Any suggestions on repairs in place without having to pull down the chimminey and the outside arch? Is there such a thing as a Hi-temp epoxy?
Attached Thumbnails
Greg's Pompeii 42" - San Diego-2009-09-07-first-pizza-night   Greg's Pompeii 42" - San Diego-2009-09-07-first-pizza-night  

Click to see my Thread:

Old 09-08-2009, 11:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Greg, 1st of all: Super-nice Pizzas!!! Was the fresh Mozzarella or Bufalo in those Margaritas? I bet they tasted great. I really like the herbed-olive oil flat bread pizza too. Your kids (mini-chefs?) are adorable.

OK...that fallen arch brick. It did only slip. I think it's easily repairable. I think the mortar you used would work fine. If you can pull it out, it's bound to have some mortar stuck really well on it so when you RE-mortar it, it should wedge in really tight and never fall out, but maybe get a hairline crack.
Also, Drake (drakeremoray) posted this for me when I had an interior crack:

I filled my cracks with some furnace cement:
Ace - Ace Tree: Heating & Cooling: Fireplaces & Stoves: Fireplace & Stove Repair: Gasket Cement: Rutland Hi-Temp Stove & Gasket Cement
as it has a little flex to it. I heated up the oven and applied while the cracks were open...Drake

Your steel stud work is great too. Your falling arch is fixable. Just have to find the right method. Good luck, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread