Old 10-13-2009, 02:33 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Greg & Karen's 42" Deck WBO in MI

Wow! This is an interesting build as I will essentially be doing the same thing......reconstruction a hillside patio (concrete, in my case) around a raised foundation WFO.
I will add your build thread to my 'closely following' list of threads. Thanks for the photos, they're very helpful...
Old 10-13-2009, 03:41 PM
Peasant

Dino,

We just formed up the boards for the upper slab and it will be 4" thick with 2" of FB Board on top. We're just waiting to pour next week because the weather is supposed to be above 32 degrees again!

Greg
Old 10-13-2009, 05:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Greg & Karen
NIce job so far, great enthusiasm,,,, Build fast and enjoy...

Cheers
Mark
Old 10-13-2009, 09:10 PM
Journeyman

Enjoy the journey. It's great fun.

Joe
Old 10-14-2009, 08:35 AM
Apprentice

Hi Greg. I tried to post earlier and had a computer problem. Don't know if you recieved it or not. I started my build on 9/18 and hope to pour my hearth slab this weekend. I'll call it quits for the season after that, may build my arch in my shop this winter. I have a couple of sheets of 4x8 cement fiber siding in the warehouse with broken corners, I'm going to pour over that and just leave it in place afterward. It looks like the weather will cooperate Saturday, shouldn't freeze for a couple of days...
Old 10-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Apprentice

Greg, I stopped at the U Rent It on 28th SW yesterday. They sell redi-mix in trailers. My hearth slab is about 6'x6'x4", which is about 1/2 yard of concrete. $100.00 for 1/2, $159 for 1 yard. This will probably be the last weekend of the season that they sell redi-mix. Sounds a lot better to me than carrying 20 some 80# bags to the mixer in my back yard. A wheelbarrow fits under the trailer....
Old 10-18-2009, 10:29 AM
Apprentice

hi Greg. i did pour yesterday. picked up 1/2 yard of concrete at 9 and returned the trailer at 11. you have to work fast, the concrete wants to set up in the trailer. kept it wet till late in the day, and i think that even though it froze hard last nite, i'm ok. time to find brick, set up the wet saw in my shop and settle in for the winter. i may try to make a mould, cut and set and number all my bricks and be ready to assemble in the spring...there was a GREAT custom home builder that lived out by you.. Jordan Sheperd..did you every meet him?
Old 10-22-2009, 09:33 AM
Peasant

Default Greg & Karen's 42" Deck WBO in MI

We finally got a few nights above 32 degrees, so we decided to pour the top slab. The high temps reached into the upper 50's for two days in a row, but it looks like next week's highs are going to stay in the 40's...this is our coldest October in over 30 years on record!

I put a canopy over the oven, and may need to "shroud" it and place a heater inside if I want to continue with the oven project into the "fall". The top slab pour went very quickly with Karen manning the cement mixer, and only took 32 - 60# bags of concrete mix.

Due to continued rain, I think I'll start cutting and assembling the bricks in the garage. If we get a few more warm, dry days, I may have the chance to assemble the dome before the first snow fall.

-
Attached Thumbnails
Greg & Karen's 42" Deck WBO in MI-greg_023.jpg   Greg & Karen's 42" Deck WBO in MI-greg_024.jpg   Greg & Karen's 42" Deck WBO in MI-greg_025.jpg   Greg & Karen's 42" Deck WBO in MI-greg_026.jpg   Greg & Karen's 42" Deck WBO in MI-greg_027.jpg  

Old 10-22-2009, 11:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Stonylake: I went with the U-Haul it cement route too and loved it.

Greg: Impressed you can still smile while pouring cement in the cold wet weather ! But after looking at your finished base, I'd keep going too. It's looking really nice. A few days of curing and you'll ready for firebricks. This parts exciting. I'm sure you'll get enough good weather soon. Cheers, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 01:45 PM
Master Builder

Greg and Karen - keep it up. We'll keep hoping for warmer weather.

Great setup you have there. You're going to have a terrific venue for entertaining.