Old 09-28-2007, 09:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Give a shit pills

Paul,

I am using heat stop 50. The mix that is listed on this site seems pretty close in texture and a DAMN lot cheaper to make. When I run out of the heat stop, I think I will just "roll my own".

YOUR cuts are looking awesome! In regard to great fun - not sure. We were out to dinner tonight when the skies decided to open up - we flew out of the restaurant so I could get home and cover things up. Add to that the snow will be flying soon, so I probably won't see fire until spring.

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:06 PM
Journeyman

Harbor Freight needs to sell a "brick mill". Then we can treat these damn things like they were a chunk of metal. It would be a beautiful thing, but it only exist in Les land...

Actually---- If you have a metal chop saw (or get one from HF) that will accommodate a 12" carborundum masonry blade you can use this to "mill" the brick edges down just like metal.
Holding the brick to the side of the running blade will trim them down quite nicely.

I hope a tone of disapproval did not resonate from my last post, if so that was not my intention. I think this can work and it looks great, however you are going to need to find a good source for those pills...
Old 09-28-2007, 09:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Uno - no tone detected. You're cool and your input is appreciated! The issue I was having was the acceptable gap. I thinks I will continue my coarse, and if I crash and burn, other should not follow.

This is what's so great about this forum - we are all building from each others experience - no competition, just helping out our brothers of the brick.

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:04 AM
Master Builder

Les and Paul,

Those ovens are looking too good!!! I'm getting asheamed and may have to start removing my pictures as my oven looks so shabby!!!!

Wonderful starts!

christo

Old 09-29-2007, 07:14 AM
Apprentice

Im going to preface this by saying that the oven I built is not brick, but refractory triangles which I cast. I built mine without mortaring the triangles together, I placed them together, added 3" of steel reinforced concrete to the exterior, and have been firing for 1 1/2 years with no issues. My theory was the since the oven doesnt heat evenly during firing that trying to glue everything together is just inviting cracks. I figure mine works like teutonic plates all acting together, but seperate. As long as you are cutting at least 3 sides so they cannot fall in I say your golden. (but if not dont blame me)
Old 09-29-2007, 10:22 AM
Master Builder

You guys could think of using your mortar looped down to a dippable consistency and then you would have almost no issues at all. I recently saw a program that showed masons using martar at that consistency to lay brick in an area that had to be acid resistant.
Just a thought!
Dutch
Old 09-29-2007, 06:44 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by christo View Post
I'm getting asheamed and may have to start removing my pictures as my oven looks so shabby!!!!
Chris,

At the end of the day, mine is just another brick oven, whereas your and David's geodesic domes will always be works of art ....

Cheers, Paul.