Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Pompeii Oven Construction (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   gianluca's 42" oven build (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/gianlucas-42-oven-build-19541.html)

GIANLUCA 06-17-2013 04:53 PM

gianluca's 42" oven build

4 Attachment(s)
I now started to cut my bricks for the floor after 2 days of debating on putting the floor on top or inside I've decided to cut for a inteior placement. I borrowed a friends dewalt 14" chop saw it did work well curious to see if anyone else used it before a few more hard cuts left. Question there are a few small corner pieces about 1/2 triangle size on the floor that i have not cut pieces for can i fill these with the brick dust or just use the home brew mix?
Would there be an issue if I did not trim the ceramic board? can I just leave it extending from the exteior dome wall? Is there a purpose to trim or not to trim

jbruning 06-17-2013 05:45 PM

Re: gianluca's 42" oven build

Looking good! I assume you are using a proper respirator as that must create a lot of dust. I used a HF wet saw in my garage over the winter. I shrouded it and collected all of the mud and most of the mist, but even so the 'mist' left a fine layer of dust well beyond my work area. I also used a cartridge respirator because that brick dust is nasty stuff.

I am looking forward to your build.

UtahBeehiver 06-17-2013 05:47 PM

Gian,

Wow, never would of thought you could of gotten those arc cuts with a dry chop saw. So good job. Were you planning on using a similar process on your dome? If you are enclosing the dome then there is no reason to trim the floor insulation. Those triangle are pretty small and towards the back. I would not mortar though, you want your floor to be able to expand and contract. As you build your dome, duct tape the edge between the floor and wall to keep mortar out of the gap between the two.

GIANLUCA 06-17-2013 05:56 PM

I started using a dust mask that lasted 1 minute I then switch to my dual cartridge paint respirator! The dust is crazy clouds all over it takes about 3 minutes for it to settle after each cut. I'm a little nervous about it getting all over my house and neighbors. It's all I have I already bought a cement mixer and a blade. The chop saw is sold at Home Depot it holds a 14" blade I was skeptical but it worked great ill just have to create a jig for the bevels. Good answer on the floor I was starting to get picky andwasthinking about readjusting the pattern to avoid. Funny no matter how much time you spend planning something's get overlooked

GIANLUCA 06-18-2013 12:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finished up the last few cuts today not an east task with the chop saw but it worked!! With lots of patience of course and a couple of extra bricks

GIANLUCA 06-19-2013 11:04 AM

Ok ready to cut my ceramic board panels and I was wondering if butting pieces together is fine or should I create a lap joint. I'm assuming with a lap joint heat will not pass through to the hearth, also I am only using 1 layer of 2" ceramic board will this be sufficent?

I've purchased some bricks today and they offerd me 2 sizes 9x4.5 and 8x4.5 I went with the 9's just wondering if anyone else had to make a choice

UtahBeehiver 06-19-2013 12:15 PM

Butting up is fine. 9s are more commonly used. Gives you 4.5" dome walls. I see you use PEP so be sure to use on ceramic board, it is nasty stuff.

GIANLUCA 06-19-2013 12:32 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. What's pep ?

UtahBeehiver 06-19-2013 12:43 PM

typo, PPE - personal protection equipment,

jbruning 06-19-2013 12:44 PM

I think he may have meant, PPE. Personal protective equipment ie a good respirator etc. The fiberboard is really nasty when you cut it.