Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 05:38 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: gianluca's 42" oven build

I completed the outer arch and flue opening today boy was it hot out!! I ended up starting the outer columns on the ceramic board and using firebricks instead of clay reds the main reason is that the clays are significantly smaller and I felt it would have looked odd it actually worked out because I used the first cut bricks from the inner arch saved time and money. my vent opening is about 14x6 I may cut into the inner arch to open it a bit more I'd like to here some opinions on that. the side will definitely need some buttressing I think tomorrow I will either cement bricks from the hearth up or fabricate some brackets like most do..

I was getting gas this morning and saw this in the lot it's like seeing a hot women walking naked what head turner.. I feel bad for who ever owns this car he supposedly hit a tractor trailor
Attached Thumbnails
gianluca's 42" oven build-outer-arch-007.jpg   gianluca's 42" oven build-outer-arch-009.jpg   gianluca's 42" oven build-outer-arch-010.jpg   gianluca's 42" oven build-outer-arch-002.jpg   gianluca's 42" oven build-outer-arch-004.jpg  

Old 07-17-2013, 06:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

They should be able to buff that right out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 07-17-2013, 06:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I don't. I have managed to go for decades without a scratch on my cheap ass cars, I am pretty sure I would not get a rock chip like that on an expensive one.....
Old 07-18-2013, 12:38 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIANLUCA View Post
I completed the outer arch and flue opening today boy was it hot out!! I ended up starting the outer columns on the ceramic board and using firebricks instead of clay reds the main reason is that the clays are significantly smaller and I felt it would have looked odd it actually worked out because I used the first cut bricks from the inner arch saved time and money. my vent opening is about 14x6 I may cut into the inner arch to open it a bit more I'd like to here some opinions on that. the side will definitely need some buttressing I think tomorrow I will either cement bricks from the hearth up or fabricate some brackets like most do..

I was getting gas this morning and saw this in the lot it's like seeing a hot women walking naked what head turner.. I feel bad for who ever owns this car he supposedly hit a tractor trailor
Your outer arch looks great. I'm planing on the same type. One and a half bricks deep? I saw in one of your earlier posts that you experimented a little to figure out your reach inside the oven. Since I haven't placed my insulation and floor bricks yet I'm wondering how far back I should place the front of the entry arch from the front edge of my top slab. Any advise? I have some leeway forward and backwards on my slab.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIANLUCA View Post
Driver was probably watching hot women walking naked when he hit the tractor trailer. Distracted driving!

Old 07-18-2013, 01:34 PM
Apprentice

thanks..

I have 4" of slab left I considered having a 8" arched slab for a counter I still need to cover the block so depending on veneer or full stone that would give me more counter space as far as the entry it is 10" deep it would have been a little wider with a angled entry as you can see in the pics no problem reaching inside the oven with a straight entry my vent opening is 6" deep and up to 15" wide.
An angled entry would be nice but there was no way I would be able to cut the angled bricks without a wet saw my chop saw, I am not disappointed with the turnout at all go for the straight overall its 22" wide plenty to get in
Attached Thumbnails
gianluca's 42" oven build-pizza-peel-001.jpg   gianluca's 42" oven build-pizza-peel-004.jpg   gianluca's 42" oven build-pizza-peel-006.jpg   gianluca's 42" oven build-pizza-peel-003.jpg  
Old 07-18-2013, 02:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

looks great! And you'll never use a wooden peel to put a pizza in like that anyway. The nice thing about turning peels, they're a lot smaller

Old 07-18-2013, 05:57 PM
Apprentice

I just came back from Home Depot 12"x12" 1200lbs load brackets are $9 a piece would 1 bracket on the middle of each side work or 1 on each arch??
Old 07-20-2013, 05:30 PM
Apprentice

Finished up the flue today I decided to go with an 8" round clay I also went back to home depot and bought those brackets they were definitely the way to go instead of fabricating them myself. I did measure out the square 8"clay flue but is was really a 6x6 id and I wanted to stay around the correct cubic inch space needed also any thing bigger than 9" would of encroached on the frt edge of the arch which is the façade. I had wide to grind out the inner arch a bit to accept the round 8" opening which was 6" I had the room as my inner arch bricks were almost 8" long I then place a split brick on each side of the opening to close it up. tomorrow I am going to light some newspaper to see if it draws well. Is 24 hours enough dry time for the flue to start my first cure fire I plan on a 150 degree fire
Attached Thumbnails
gianluca's 42" oven build-chimney-completed-007.jpg   gianluca's 42" oven build-chimney-completed-005.jpg   gianluca's 42" oven build-chimney-completed-010.jpg   gianluca's 42" oven build-chimney-completed-006.jpg   gianluca's 42" oven build-chimney-completed-009.jpg  

Old 07-21-2013, 11:35 AM
Apprentice

So I started the first fire today I picked up a bag of natural bisqets they pretty much are half burnt pieces of wood...any ways its been lit since 10 am I plan on letting go until 7 or 8 pm then remove the pan for cooling i'll start it back up in the am.

I really need some help here I started to wrap the oven with the ceramic blanket and ran out really quick it's 1" thick I made 1 1/2 coats basically to get 3 " I need another box would loose vermiculite be just as good if I filled the entire enclosure or should I just put the order in now for the blanket

2' x 25' x 1" is the roll I purchased
here are some pictures
Attached Thumbnails
gianluca's 42" oven build-first-fire-004.jpg   gianluca's 42" oven build-first-fire-008.jpg   gianluca's 42" oven build-first-fire-005.jpg   gianluca's 42" oven build-first-fire-006.jpg