Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 01:03 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: gianluca's 42" oven build

I started to work on the outer arch/neck I originally planned an angled open from 20"-25" during some brick cutting I mocked up the outer arch after I tried out my pizza peel to see if I can reach inside every spot on the oven on a 25" opening and it is very generous if I make it square with the inner arch +1"reveal at 21" I still have enough my question is that the neck of my oven is only 6 1/2" deep will that be large enough for a vent I can go as wide as the arch and taper it up of course so it would be around 6"x 16"(even a little wider) another option would be to cut back on the inner arch it protrudes about 1-1.5" from the ext dome I can use the angle grinder to do so that would give me like 7.5-8".

Is a vent supposed to be square/round/ rectangle are there any restrictions? would a 6x 16,12,10 be okay
Old 07-15-2013, 02:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIANLUCA View Post

Is a vent supposed to be square/round/ rectangle are there any restrictions? would a 6x 16,12,10 be okay
I don't think that the shape will make that much difference as long as you get about the same area for the cross section.

A 6 X 10 (figure 5 X 9) would be about 5 square inches less that an 8" ID round pipe. A 6 X 12 (figure 5 X 11) would be about 5 square inches greater.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:44 PM
Apprentice

So i guess the question stands is there a standard size in square inches that a vent should be for a 42" ID oven with an average height of 21
With a formula I could just build around the required size
Old 07-15-2013, 02:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I think your minimum for a 42" oven is an 8" round flue - so about 50 sq inches of area. Beyond that, flue height is going to be important.

Somewhere in the forum there is a pretty deep technical discussion of flue sizes and heights, if you go searching.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIANLUCA View Post
So i guess the question stands is there a standard size in square inches that a vent should be for a 42" ID oven with an average height of 21
With a formula I could just build around the required size
Most will recommend that an 8" id pipe is needed for a 42" oven. And as Dennis, stated is about 50 square inches in cross section. Just multiply the inside dimensions of the liner that you are considering. You can cut about an inch off of the outside dimensions to get the inside dimensions. The 6 X 10 is just a little less than 5 X 9 inside dimensions, (I am bad about "ball parking" stuff) so it would be about 45 square inches. The 6 X 12 (5 X 11) would be about 55 square inches.

Last edited by Gulf; 07-15-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:49 PM
Serf

I love the "graffiti" in the dome!
Old 07-15-2013, 04:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

We just discussed this on another forum I belong too. Something that I thought will benefit your decision is that when you size a flue, the corners are considered dead air space. By drawing a circle in the flue (ID) you will see the actual 'working' part of the flue.

That's why I suggested a 10x10 as a minimum..because an 8x8 is small for a 42" oven.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 07-16-2013, 04:14 AM
Apprentice

Great answers I'm learning a lot so I guess round is better it utilizes the complete volume and square/rectangle has dead space. So I guess what ill do is try to purchase a round collar at 8" round or build a minimum of 6x10 rectangle brick flue. I'm a little weary on steel flues how will I do the flashing on the roof I would have to install a double wall pipe I guess kinda like my wood burning stove for my home
Old 07-16-2013, 08:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

yeah, the DW pipe is expensive too, as you really need stainless because of the heat.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:57 AM
Apprentice

Should I build the outer arch and neck on the outside of the floor or on top of the floor? the outside would start on the ceramic board like the inner arch and on top of course is on top of the floor that runs in the dome or none of the above and should I cut out the CB and start on the cement hearth and end the floor at the inner arch? also I am going to use regular clay red bricks for the outer arch and neck will there be any issues with this?