Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 05:34 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: gianluca's 42" oven build

The arch form is shimmed up by large paint sticks and the floor wood that is Al's cut right at edge and tape to the inner floor I tried to remove it in the mock up stage and it worked hopefully all will go well also I can always unscrew the two outer panels as separate them that way one inside and one out I plan on removing the arch after its completed of course after it dries.

I live in Shelton
Old 07-07-2013, 07:14 AM
Laborer

You'll probably be fine, I didn't think of the screws ..... Mine was shimmed up about a half inch, but I had stapled mine together because the air stapler was handy. It would have been very difficult to take mine apart. Screws will make it easy if necessary. Additionally, I figured with the hemispherical arch, I could remove the arch right away and did so right after I set the final brick. Too much movement would have messed it up but the mortar from the top bricks was fresh so that helped. I am enjoying following your build. Good work!

Link to my build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:02 PM
Apprentice

Laid another course today my diameter ran off a bit from using the wood form I relied a bit too much on it, I think I made it up on this course the IT is set at 19 1/4" I guess 2" doesn't really seem that much I think if I were to start over I'd just go low or high the mid point seems not worth the work to many areas to make mistakes. Overall I'm happy I'm trying to keep my mistakes towards the front where nobody will see I know the oven will work well regardless.

This is definitely not any easy task but a fun one!! As long as you can accept a few mishaps.
I think tommorrow I will just complete the arch now that I'm not moving the it any longer.
Attached Thumbnails
gianluca's 42" oven build-image.jpg  
Old 07-07-2013, 12:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gian,

Looks like you have figured out the tapered arch even if you feel confused. It will make like much easier for your tie-ins. Tip, keep your arch form to use as a template for your oven door. Also at this stage of my build I was having to adjust the length of my IT quite a bit to make everything fit. Good luck, you are getting close to clearing the arch.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:52 PM
Apprentice

Well I've been working on my oven here and there and I made it on top of the arch today it was bit of a challange the course diped about 3/8" so i just motared the brick up mainly because of the arch cuts were off no one will ever see it anyways also when I was using the wood form to lower the dome height I must have went off sphere somewhere about a 1/4" so I decide just to straigten it on the next row so far the next 2 on top of that were fine, I ran out of bricks so I will button up this course and hopefully do another tommorrow and definatly finish by the weekend. I was hoping to grind out the overlapping bricks about 3 of them where I went off sphere so it will not be so noticeble I'm wondering if I will do more harm than good. I removed the arch forms about 4 hours after setting the bricks didn't move a bit thank god you wont see the inner arch except for the reveal cutting the tapers on 9" bricks was just a disaster functional but not pretty

The most challenging thing is cutting the bricks with the chop saw it works but I have to use my eye for all the angle cuts very stressfull..
Attached Thumbnails
gianluca's 42" oven build-7-10-new-brick-oven-013.jpg   gianluca's 42" oven build-7-10-new-brick-oven-015.jpg   gianluca's 42" oven build-7-10-new-brick-oven-016.jpg   gianluca's 42" oven build-7-10-new-brick-oven-024.jpg   gianluca's 42" oven build-7-10-new-brick-oven-027.jpg  

Old 07-10-2013, 02:56 PM
Apprentice

here are some more pics
Attached Thumbnails
gianluca's 42" oven build-7-10-new-brick-oven-012.jpg   gianluca's 42" oven build-7-10-new-brick-oven-019.jpg   gianluca's 42" oven build-7-10-new-brick-oven-028.jpg  
Old 07-11-2013, 05:20 PM
Apprentice

Continued work today on the oven I laid 2 more courses I think 2 more and a plug should do it.
I'm trying my best to minmize the grout lines but I've accepted that without a wet saw and proper bevel/angle jig it would be just time consuming I have attached a pic of my bevel jig for laughs no kidding it works!!
I am wondering what is the best mix/method for grouting the gaps I have some really fine sandblasting sand that I was going to use in the home brew recipe 2/1/1/1 extra fine sand instead of 3/1/1/1 I plan on grouting tommorrow b4 I start its getting tough to reach in.

Does anyone have any opinions on a 8"x8" clay flue for a chimney size and type they also sell a 10"x6" it just seems to be the most efficent way to go considering labor and cost
Attached Thumbnails
gianluca's 42" oven build-7-11-brickoven-004.jpg   gianluca's 42" oven build-7-11-brickoven-005.jpg   gianluca's 42" oven build-7-11-brickoven-007.jpg   gianluca's 42" oven build-7-11-brickoven-009.jpg   gianluca's 42" oven build-7-11-brickoven-015.jpg  

Old 07-11-2013, 08:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIANLUCA View Post
Continued work today on the oven I laid 2 more courses I think 2 more and a plug should do it.
I'm trying my best to minmize the grout lines but I've accepted that without a wet saw and proper bevel/angle jig it would be just time consuming I have attached a pic of my bevel jig for laughs no kidding it works!!
I am wondering what is the best mix/method for grouting the gaps I have some really fine sandblasting sand that I was going to use in the home brew recipe 2/1/1/1 extra fine sand instead of 3/1/1/1 I plan on grouting tommorrow b4 I start its getting tough to reach in.

Does anyone have any opinions on a 8"x8" clay flue for a chimney size and type they also sell a 10"x6" it just seems to be the most efficent way to go considering labor and cost
That is a very rich mixture for mortar....especially with fine grained aggregate. Stay at 3 parts aggregate at the very least. My mix was closer to 5.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 07-11-2013, 08:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

8X8 is small for a 42" oven...look for a 12X12. It's hard to over-flue outdoor ovens ( or fireplaces).

I don't know if you went to O&G in Bridgeport yet, but they carry all kinds of clay flue sizes. Actually, you should be able to get anything you want from them.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 07-11-2013, 08:24 PM
Apprentice

Thanks for the reply I have purchased a lot of materials from them the flue is available in many different sizes I was just hoping to get a lot of advise on size.
So you think a 12/12 would do it? That seems kinda large do you think a 8/10 would do it?
Can you believe og does not carry fireclay anylonger I did find everything at homer c Godfrey in Bpt. Og did give me a sweet discount on the firebricks