Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 01:28 AM
Laborer

Default Re: gianluca's 42" oven build

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIANLUCA View Post
Well the rain let up so I decided to push forward the tent goes up and on we go I laid the ceramic board squared the floor and transferred the floor so far so good. Maybe later I'll lay the first course
Looking good!
I'm also thinking about how to keep the cal-sil dry? Maybe a coat of some kind of concrete sealer? But then again maybe I'm over thinking this, I tend to do that a lot...
Old 07-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Apprentice

Made some progress today here are some up to date pics,

oven is sleeping for the holiday!!
Attached Thumbnails
gianluca's 42" oven build-mikes-iphone-032.jpg   gianluca's 42" oven build-mikes-iphone-035.jpg   gianluca's 42" oven build-mikes-iphone-034.jpg   gianluca's 42" oven build-mikes-iphone-036.jpg  
Old 07-03-2013, 05:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steellearning View Post
Looking good!
I'm also thinking about how to keep the cal-sil dry? Maybe a coat of some kind of concrete sealer? But then again maybe I'm over thinking this, I tend to do that a lot...
Great point! I sweated tarps, tents, and roof overs to try and keep everything dry. I have seen where some have used cooking oil to help in keeping the CalSil from soaking up water from the brick mortar.

GIANLUCA,
From your last post, I am sure, that you have just given me and many other future builders a way to help justify the time and costs of the the build .
But, for me that means that I will have to crawl inside one more time, and carve a quote from the movie [B]Forest Gump[/B]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"There is a snake in the garden."
Old 07-05-2013, 02:37 PM
Apprentice

Climbed a little higher today it was very hot out and still is!! the IT is difficult to use without having a 1/2 diameter dome I had to use the wood form for the last row to put me back on track for a 19" high dome for a 42" oven I think I'll have to do a row with the IT then a row with the wood form.
Has anyone else ran into this issue???
Attached Thumbnails
gianluca's 42" oven build-brick-oven-progress-001.jpg   gianluca's 42" oven build-brick-oven-progress-003.jpg   gianluca's 42" oven build-brick-oven-progress-007.jpg   gianluca's 42" oven build-brick-oven-progress-011.jpg   gianluca's 42" oven build-brick-oven-progress-009.jpg  

GarnerAC likes this.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yeah, I did the same thing you are doing with the wood form. If I had it to do over again, I would have built an IT with a turnbuckle, and shortened it by a crank or two for each course. It would require doing the math for angles separately for each course - but that's pretty easy with a spreadsheet.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:11 AM
Apprentice

I agree I think I will just shorten the IT about a 1/4 inch for the next two courses after then I will be at the 19" height.

Is the dust from the firebricks better than the fireclay I was thinking of given the dome a smooth cover of cement mixed with the dust b4 the blanket maybe a mixture of 2/1/1/1 instead of 3/1/1/1
Old 07-06-2013, 06:58 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

GIANLUCA,
I am enjoying your low dome build. My original thoughts were to attempt to build one. I chickened out . I even built an adjustable turnbuckle IT. I built my arch first at it's longest setting to fit the inside of the dome. After clearing the arch I shortened the IT and played with one course. I found that it was too late to get any real benefit from it. Like Dennis, I think shortening the IT a little for each course would work fine. That is if the interior of the arch is scribed and cut to fit each course.

"There is a snake in the garden."
Old 07-06-2013, 01:34 PM
Apprentice

More work today on the oven 1 more course and I woked on the arch a bit. Cutting the angles on the arch bricks so that they meet with the dome is definitly a hard task it gets very confusing as a matter of fact its been 2 hours since I cleaned up and I'm still confused!!!!
My plan is to close the arch as I lay the courses that intersect this way I can cut each one to fit as I go it is getting tougher with the low 19" dome i have to constantly measure with the it and wood template.

Here area some pics
Attached Thumbnails
gianluca's 42" oven build-jkd-brick-oven-progress-009.jpg   gianluca's 42" oven build-jkd-brick-oven-progress-010.jpg   gianluca's 42" oven build-jkd-brick-oven-progress-014.jpg   gianluca's 42" oven build-jkd-brick-oven-progress-017.jpg   gianluca's 42" oven build-jkd-brick-oven-progress-013.jpg  

Old 07-06-2013, 07:42 PM
Laborer

Hi Gianluca,
Your build is looking great. I noticed that your arch support is shimmed and has solid faces similar to the way I did mine. I had some difficulty getting mine out after the arch was completed on top because there was some squeeze out mortar between the plywood pieces that stopped the form from moving easily. It took some effort to knock off the little globs of mortar to get it free.

Link to my build:
Old 07-06-2013, 08:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

What part of CT are you located?

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin