Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 05:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: gianluca's 42" oven build

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIANLUCA View Post
So I started to work on the new extended arch bricks the columns were no problem but the arch bricks were I cannot taper the bricks for the arch any lenght larger than 6" will not fit on my saw would it be a problem not to taper the arch bricks and just use whole bricks instead with no taper, I would rather not make messy cuts. The length of the arch brick need to be around 7" give or take 1/2"
This is where a side grinder and diamond blade may help .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:47 PM
Laborer

Quote:
So I started to work on the new extended arch bricks the columns were no problem but the arch bricks were I cannot taper the bricks for the arch any lenght larger than 6" will not fit on my saw would it be a problem not to taper the arch bricks and just use whole bricks instead with no taper, I would rather not make messy cuts. The length of the arch brick need to be around 7" give or take 1/2"
Can you remove the clamps on your saw and just hold the brick in place? If not make a wooden jig and use an angle grinder with a large diamond blade?
Most likely, I'll be running in to the same problems
Old 06-27-2013, 04:12 AM
Apprentice

I definatly will try other routes today I've spent a lot of time already on the arch I'm trying to be patient once I finish the inner arch bricks I can transfer everything to the hearth. I have seen other builds with and without tapers worse case I will taper as much as possible none of it will be visable at least just the bottom edge of the top arch for the reveal.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:42 PM
Apprentice

today I attempted the cuts on the arch bricks and was successful I had to cut half the brick then flip it and maneuver them.
Is it a good or bad idea to cut the arch angle out where it intersects with the dome or wait until each row meets.
I'm ready to transfer to the hearth rain today, Friday and Saturday I'm busy hopefully Sunday.
Is it possible to lay multiple chains in one day I plan On taking vacation days to work on the oven but if I can't work through the chains it probably wouldn't be worth it.
I am also extending the pillars to also meet with the dome hopefully everything will go smooth
I have about 3" of brick dust in a 5 gallon pail is the brick dust better or same as fireclay I was going to use it for a just in case cast plug or any large mistakes
Attached Thumbnails
gianluca's 42" oven build-image.jpg  
Old 06-27-2013, 05:09 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Is it possible to lay multiple chains in one day
Yes, the mortar will hold well enough to keep things in place and once a chain is complete is becomes self supporting. Balancing the overwhelming need to forge ahead with attention to detail is a discipline of its own but the two things are compatible. Finding the time is the tricky bit.

Sounds like you are ready to make a determined push. All the best with it.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 06-27-2013, 05:47 PM
Apprentice

I hear you!! hopefully everything will go well thanks...
Old 06-27-2013, 06:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Let's keep the nomenclature standard and call them "courses" not chains. If you use an anchor brick (or "lead" as it is known in masonry), you can lay as many courses as you can lay in any given time frame. Below is a picture of a lead.
Attached Thumbnails
gianluca's 42" oven build-081812genesoven5.jpg  
Old 07-02-2013, 07:00 AM
Apprentice

Is there a need to put a vapor barrier under the insulation board and hearth something like aluminum foil. I'm wondering if moisture is a problem also between brick and board?
Old 07-02-2013, 12:31 PM
Apprentice

Well the rain let up so I decided to push forward the tent goes up and on we go I laid the ceramic board squared the floor and transferred the floor so far so good. Maybe later I'll lay the first course
Attached Thumbnails
gianluca's 42" oven build-image.jpg  
Old 07-02-2013, 03:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Is there a need to put a vapor barrier under the insulation board and hearth something like aluminum foil. I'm wondering if moisture is a problem also between brick and board?
Plastic or a moisture resistant paint between the structural hearth and the insulation layer would be best. Aluminum foil would probably disintegrate over time. I don't think that any moisture barriers above this level should be included.