Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 02:08 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: gianluca's 42" oven build

Oh!! Got it. Any info on my other question on layers of board I know more is better but at $300 I really can't afford another to double the thickness.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

2" is standard FB plan specs. I guess it depends on how you want to use your oven. Pizza party or 3-4 day cooking and baking. You could add a vcrete or perlcrete layer first then your ceramic board. Kinda up to you and your cooking style. vcete/perlcrete is cheap.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:04 PM
Apprentice

Today I had some time to cut some bricks I started to work on the arch cuts. I definatly see some hard work in lining the arch with the dome
Attached Thumbnails
gianluca's 42" oven build-image.jpg  
Old 06-22-2013, 07:05 PM
Apprentice

I am stuck as sure as many others in the past. When transitioning the dome to the arch it seems that my arch placement is to far outward in reality it only protrudes 1" from exterior OD I will be cutting the inner arch bricks to meet the dome am I supposed to be using full bricks for the arch instead of halfs so that the arch brick will travel inward as much as needed or should i just tear drop the dome and move on, if you look at my image you can see
Attached Thumbnails
gianluca's 42" oven build-image.jpg  
Old 06-22-2013, 07:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It looks like you are using half brick for the arch. Why not use whole brick. Each course of the arch will protrude further in than the one below. My brick were 8" in length. I had to stagger the bond for the arch to get them to reach the inside curve of the dome. A 9" length brick works better. Adjust it now and you can avoid the tear drop .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:43 PM
Laborer

My arch bricks were about 7 inches give or take. The bottom was 4.5 but the bricks extended toward the back of the dome a few more inches. Here is a link to Russell's thread (Wood Fired Beehive in Utah)and a couple of pic that might help. GianniFoccocia, Karangi Dude and others have done it similarly.....There are other similar pics somewhere here, but I can't seem to locate them.
Gulf likes this.

Link to my build:
Old 06-23-2013, 04:32 AM
Apprentice

That makes a bunch of sense I will recut new arch bricks using whole 9" It was driving me crazy I actually lost sleep over it. I will use the arch bricks that I cut already for the front arch no waste!

thanks everyone
Old 06-23-2013, 05:23 PM
Apprentice

I was cutting bricks today hurray!! I am splitting my halfs with a hammer & chisel I notice a lot of builders here are cutting them in half with a saw Is there an issue with hammer and chisel method? It goes much quicker then cutting them and I'm really not concerned about how it looks on the outside it will be wrapped and burried just not 6' under lol!
Old 06-23-2013, 05:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

That is the most efficient way to do it, tap, tap, pow, done.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:04 PM
Apprentice

So I started to work on the new extended arch bricks the columns were no problem but the arch bricks were I cannot taper the bricks for the arch any lenght larger than 6" will not fit on my saw would it be a problem not to taper the arch bricks and just use whole bricks instead with no taper, I would rather not make messy cuts. The length of the arch brick need to be around 7" give or take 1/2"