Old 07-08-2007, 06:25 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Getting closer in Ravensdale

poured footing built base and poured hearth was wondering if i could skip the vermiculite pour and add extra fire brick at base maybee 3 courses of 1"1/8 thick i have an end less supply of split fire brick left from a large job
Old 07-08-2007, 07:26 PM
Laborer

I don't think I would do it that way. The fire brick isn't really an insulating material. It's more of a thermal mass thing. You need the Vermiculite or Perlite for insulation of the base and then install the fire brick floor. From the way I get, you need to insulate the oven, bottom and top and have enough thermal mass to store enough heat to get the high temps needed for a great pizza. I used Perlite for my thermal hearth and poured it a week before the new insulated floor material was announced. Should have waited. If you don't want to pour the floor you might consider the floor insulating material that James has for sale in the FB store.

Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:28 PM
Laborer

Thanks for the great info about the studs and the roof ideas. I think I have the idea now although it'll be a tremendous learning curve for a while. I think I have a while to figure out the roof deal. My most immediate problem is the decorative arch and how to support it, whether to the existing brick that hold up the vent or to/through a steel stud. I like the Jahysea idea but I have already passed the point of no return on the vent business. I think someone earlier, possibly Drake, mentioned anchoring somehow to the existing brick. I'm thinking that if I built the arch and somehow doweled it to the existing brick that it might work. I also have some issues about how far everything else sticks out in front and how to support the cement board as this whole business plays out.

Work, work, work...

Thanks again
Old 07-12-2007, 10:12 AM
Laborer

Default Oven Door Size

The opening I'm concerned about is outboard of the vent. My inner opening, at the dome, is arch shaped and and built to the size of the reccommend standards. I notice the outer opening on the Premio looks much bigger than the inner. I'm thinking about (excessive) heat loss at the door. I have a reveal at the inner door to accommodate a steel door but am concerned about getting the inner door right.

Any ideas?
Old 07-12-2007, 10:18 AM
Laborer

Actually, concerned about getting the outer door right.