Old 10-25-2007, 01:18 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: George's Pompeii progress

George if I didn't have the freezing problem I would, if I lay down my finishing bricks or whatever I decide to use on the foundation slab (floating) then all is going to move together (oven+walls) and possibly no cracks...
But I'll plan 6" for the vent as I redid the plan and I do have room for it, so suggestion taken! thanks
Carlo
Old 10-27-2007, 09:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'm back with an update. Things are moving faster than they probably should, but the weather is really good for October in the great NW and things will slow very quickly as the rains get more serious. Right now though, it's sunny and mid 60s (F) for the nex 4 or 5 days.

I let the hearth concrete slab set for 8 or so days and started framing in my vermiculite/concrete hearth space. I'm hesitant to remove any forms at this point as I know that concrete cure times are in weeks and months, not days. I figure, as long as the concrete is hard enough to hold up my next layer, I'll keep working and remove the forms later, maybe months from now.

I could only find two bags of vermiculite locally, and I had to drive twenty miles to get those. I made my base for this pour two inches wider than my planned oven width to allow for crumbling edges and piss poor planning. I ended up using both bags of vermiculite along with 90 LBS of cement to pour the insulation hearth. I used about 95% of what I mixed. You can see in the pics that I used masking tape along the base of the forms because I didn't know how much this stuff would flow (Because the pour was 4 inches in depth and the 2X4s only 3.5 inches in width, I toenailed them to the tops of the forms and left about .5 inches of gap between the forms and the concrete hearth already poured).

The insulation layer pour was pretty well set about 8 hours later. I covered it with a tarp for the first couple of days, but was getting confilicting information as to whether or not it should be covered during cure time. I ended up taking the tarp off after that. Regardless, 5 days later , I'm tired of waiting around. I had bought my HF saw a few days prior, and making like a convict turning big rocks into small, cut about 60 bricks in half and was itching to get going with the real project at hand.
Attached Thumbnails
George's Pompeii progress-fb12.jpg   George's Pompeii progress-fb13.jpg   George's Pompeii progress-fb14.jpg   George's Pompeii progress-fb15.jpg  

-
Old 10-28-2007, 07:11 AM
Apprentice

Question Re: George's Pompeii progress

George, question regarding your wet saw...I bought the same and I assembled it last night. In the end I have a square rubber piece, it looks a kind of protection, I found no screws in the package and very poor assembly instructions....don't know where it goes....did you have the same problem?
Thanks Carlo
Old 10-28-2007, 07:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Onward,
Late Thursday afternoon, I was playing around with the sand/fireclay/H2O and bricks, testing to see how hard it was going to be to set the oven floor. Not having read the boards carefully enough, I'd forgotten about soaking the bricks in water. I thought it was the insulation hearth sucking up all the water from my sand/fire clay mixture. I couldn't get those bricks to move for anything once they were set down.

After reading a bit more of the boards that evening, I found the answer about soaking the bricks. Also, I saw that several people had just used fireclay and omitted the sand from the formula for setting the oven floor. That sounded reasonable, so I figured I would try that first and then add sand if I had problems.

Dropping that first brick in the water was absolutely stunning to see. No wonder my practice session the night before didn't work. It looked like a Fizzy in there.

Anyway, my picks show me mixing my fireclay and water mix with my wife's hand mixer. I was having a good laugh, 'cause she was out of the house and would have freaked out if she knew. I'd forgotten to buy the drill attachment for mixing mud and there was no way to mix this stuff by hand.

I spent about 4 hours setting the floor. I had to chisel the edges of each brick before I set them to remove any irregularities. Regardless, there's enough variation in the bricks to cause occasional gaps, though most of the floor is very tight. I do have a couple of bricks that refused to sit down level with their neighbors. I'm going to hit them with an 80 grit band saw today or tomorrow.

Hasta pronto

The rest of the pics are pretty self explanitory
Attached Thumbnails
George's Pompeii progress-fb16.jpg   George's Pompeii progress-fb17.jpg   George's Pompeii progress-fb18.jpg   George's Pompeii progress-fb19.jpg   George's Pompeii progress-fb20.jpg  

-
Old 10-28-2007, 07:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Oh yah, I forgot. The third pic is my screw up. I was setting the bricks, thinking everything is cool. I stopped to take the pic and it dawned on me that I wasn't using a herringbone pattern. I pulled it all up and did it again.

-
Old 10-28-2007, 08:06 AM
Apprentice

Hey George,
I like the floor pattern. It's a combination of Herringbone and a Running Bond. Sort of a 'Herring Bond'! Very unique! Keep up the great work!
Rick
Old 10-29-2007, 07:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Rick. Hopefully it will stay in place after the first hard frost. I guess I should have looked closer at the herringbone pattern pic. Oh well, no going back now.

Carlo. No idea what that black rubber piece is.

-
Old 10-29-2007, 07:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Here's pics from 2 days ago.

I used a string and pen to mark the diameter of the oven's interior. I lined up the first course of brick and just for the hell of it, threw a tape measure across. It turned out to be 37 inches vs. the 36 I had planned. It seemed to fit OK as it was so I decided to go ahead and leave it at 37.

This was my first time ever laying brick but I had seen a thousand shows on TV like Rock Solid etc. I had a pretty good idea what I needed to do.

I was still undecided on the transition to the oven opening so left the first course a brick short on each end. I played with a stack of bricks for a couple of hours yesterday before I finally committed to a plan. I'm not sure it was a good plan, but it's a plan, if nothing else.

I've pretty much given up on trying to scrub down all the bricks to make it look pretty for the pics. This will probably be a pretty rustic oven when all is said and done.
Attached Thumbnails
George's Pompeii progress-fb21.jpg   George's Pompeii progress-fb22.jpg   George's Pompeii progress-fb23.jpg  

-
Old 10-29-2007, 08:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yesterday was more another day of figuring out how to do things. I needed shims but had no idea of a good way to cut a bunch of them at once. Plus, what angle should they be???

I laid out bricks on the deck in the shape of the dome. Figuring 180 degrees, or half a circle, I counted the spaces between the bricks (20) and ended up with 9 degrees for each space. My neighbor, Walt has a full wood shop and he showed me how to cut the shims. I made sure that the angles were correct on my template and decided to try to lay the next row.

I bought a grout bag, thinking that I could inject the mortar around the shims. It was a pain! I ended up buttering the bricks by hand and setting them. We ended up throwing the shims out and using this little angle finder device. I'd just tamp down the bricks till they were 9 degrees and move on.

This work was definitely harder than the day before. Having the oven raised up on the patio means that I need to use a step ladder while working on the outside half. BTW, I'm still not ready to get up and stand on the oven floor. Maybe another week or so.....

It was pretty late when we finished so I did a quick clean up, mostly on the inside of the oven, took a couple of pics, and covered it all up with a tarp.
I've got a 100 watt bulb burning down below the hearth, which will hopefully keep everything warm enough that the first few freezes won't affect things much. It will probably help cure the concrete and mortars a little faster as well.

More later!
Attached Thumbnails
George's Pompeii progress-fb24.jpg   George's Pompeii progress-fb25.jpg   George's Pompeii progress-fb26.jpg   George's Pompeii progress-fb27.jpg  

-
Old 10-29-2007, 06:58 PM
Laborer

Answer to question on the saw.

The square rubber piece attaches to the back of the guard. It helps stop some of the spray.