Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Pompeii Oven Construction (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Gaps inside dome !!! (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/gaps-inside-dome-18340.html)

Dome man-iac 09-10-2012 03:04 PM

Gaps inside dome !!!

Hey guys,
I have been reading your threads for months, and never thought I would be 'threading' myself.
Here goes....I made my dome using multiple vains of 2 ply wood for a form. When I removed(burnt) the form out yesterday I was horrified to see that on the fourth and fifth brick layer from the top I have many (many) wedge gaps with a base of approx 30mm .
What to do ? Proceed with insulaton(3 inch) wrap? Or heartbreakingly de-construct the dome ?
The dome looks sound. What will the consequence be if I proceed from here ?
Has anyone had a similar situation?
Thanks in anticipation.

mrchipster 09-10-2012 04:36 PM

Re: Gaps inside dome !!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dome man-iac (Post 138149)
Hey guys,
I have been reading your threads for months, and never thought I would be 'threading' myself.
Here goes....I made my dome using multiple vains of 2 ply wood for a form. When I removed(burnt) the form out yesterday I was horrified to see that on the fourth and fifth brick layer from the top I have many (many) wedge gaps with a base of approx 30mm .
What to do ? Proceed with insulaton(3 inch) wrap? Or heartbreakingly de-construct the dome ?
The dome looks sound. What will the consequence be if I proceed from here ?
Has anyone had a similar situation?
Thanks in anticipation.

Pictures please...

Chip

szv9n5 09-10-2012 06:21 PM

We are going to need to see some pics....I don't think I understand the issue.....

Tscarborough 09-10-2012 06:23 PM

Tuckpoint the gaps with refractory mortar, no worries.

Les 09-10-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tscarborough (Post 138172)
Tuckpoint the gaps with refractory mortar, no worries.

It sounds like an angle grinder is in your future as well.

DrakeRemoray 09-10-2012 08:45 PM

See my build in my signature, I had lots of gaps from using forms. Tuck pointed them, oven is fine after six years of heavy use!

Faz 09-10-2012 11:32 PM

Make sure that there is enough moisture in the bricks before tuck pointing, especially if you've already had a fire. You need the mortar to bind well with the brick, which could be difficult if your brickwork is now dry on the inside. Again - pics would be helpful.

cobblerdave 09-11-2012 02:22 AM

Gudday
Yes I built on a ply form and after burning out found gapes.
Asked the forum crawled in the oven with piping bag of mortar
And filled a few (on the fire side just in case). And after a while that mortar just fell out . Havn't worried about it since

Regards dave