Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Pompeii Oven Construction (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Floor insulation question (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/floor-insulation-question-18373.html)

pdqtom 09-17-2012 05:50 PM

Floor insulation question

Bummer,
I think the fiberboard I got for my build is the wrong material. It is compressible and not very rigid. I am curious if Insulating Fire Brick, "IFB", can be used for floor insulation? Seems I saw something about using it under the floor is OK. But can't find it now. Any opinions or thoughts about using IFB for that purpose. I can get them for $28.50 per case of 10.

GianniFocaccia 09-17-2012 06:24 PM

Re: Floor insulation question

Vermicrete has the same insulation properties as IFB, only cheaper. You'll need twice the depth of vermicrete/IFB as fiber-board to get the same insulation value. Get the proper board if you can. Try Harbison Walker (anhrefractories.com) in Dallas. A number of builders have used their Insboard 19.

Dallas, TX 214-330-9243 214-330-6085 Renee Fouts
4585 Mint Way Willie Edwards
Dallas, TX 75236 Joe Lloyd

pdqtom 09-17-2012 06:58 PM

Thanks Gianni, I'll give them a call first thing in am. I have been to their web site and did not get much info out of it.

pdqtom 09-18-2012 08:13 AM

Harbison Walker did not work out, their minimum order is over $600. Ill keep looking.

texman 09-18-2012 08:21 AM

I purchased FB board from our host and had it shipped to Texas. Tscarborough in Austin may have a source, check with him.
Good luck, finding the right material is one of the challenges of building the WFO correctly. Take your time and get the right stuff.
Tracy

pdqtom 09-18-2012 02:55 PM

Mucho Thanks to Texman!
After a couple of person to person e-mails, I believe I do have the right insulation after all. Gave me a scare though.
All the help available on this site is unbelievable. As soon as I mortar the first two brick together it will be my first two ever!

Thanks to all and especially Texman!

moT

brickie in oz 09-19-2012 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GianniFocaccia (Post 138677)
Vermicrete has the same insulation properties as IFB, only cheaper. You'll need twice the depth of vermicrete/IFB as fiber-board to get the same insulation value.

:confused: So vermicrete really has half the insulating properties...:confused:

david s 09-19-2012 04:36 AM

It depends on how much cement it contains. The higher the cement content the higher the conductivity /lower the insulation value.

david s 09-28-2012 12:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I updated the results of my vermicrete slab drying experiment which shows a water loss of some 75% over a four week period in uncovered, ideal drying conditions. Make of it what you will.

david s 09-28-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brickie in oz (Post 138786)
:confused: So vermicrete really has half the insulating properties...:confused:

ceramic blanket K value (thermal conductivity) around 0.04 (av. between #6 and #8)
Vermicrete 4:1 K value 0.16
6:1 0.12
8:1 0.09
Vermiculite alone 0.06
Perlite alone 0.03
So yes blanket is about twice as good as 10:1 vermicrete, although the values change a bit with increased temp.
Also note that perlite is a superior insulator on its own, although combined with cement expect the values to be much the same as vermicrete.

Sorry the table was nice and neat until I hit the submit button and it's jumbled it up.