Old 02-16-2014, 01:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Floor insulation options because of a lack of materials

G'day
Diatomaceous earth has a lot of uses from worm control in animals to purifying water. It's mostly silica and the small holes to make it useful are formed from the remains of single cell animals left in sedimentary rock.
I did a bit if research a few years ago but didnt take it any further. I certainly has some high temperature insulation properties as it was used as the insulation of the Agar slow combustion stoves. It was also used after WW11 and added to cement to gain a lighter and more insulating slab in tilt construction.
I had a look this afternoon at a few things to jog my memory. But basically have nothing firm. It probably doesn't get used due to the fact pearlite and other more efficient products are more readily available.
I recon it would be worth doing some research. But it comes down to what's available and affordable, in you local area.
The Pompeii ovens a good design but it does depend on good modern manufactured insulation to work as it should.
If worse comes to worse I suppose you could use the dry clean sand and glass bottles for the under slab . And for the dome chopped straw held together with a watery clay "slip".
I must stress though these are not efficient and you have to put in as much effort as you would to make a properly efficiently insulated oven.
Both these methods would not be expected to last very long at a guess.
Hope something here helps
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cobblerdave; 02-16-2014 at 02:48 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:10 PM
Journeyman

Thank you for clarification,
One thought came to me. If I go to the scrap dealer and buy the insulators that are stuffed in scrap refrigerators will that do? and if I use them for insulating the floor does their insulation efficiency diminish due to compressing the blanket under the weight of the oven?
Old 02-17-2014, 01:04 AM
Journeyman

yes
the more it compresses the less air it traps the less effective it is.

Tags
floor options