Old 06-13-2012, 09:36 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: First Timer's AZ Build

If I were to do it again, I would probably use backer board and leave it. The oven fairies poured my slab while I was out of town, and didn't give much thought to how to remove the supporting wood. So I ended up having to cut out 1" plywood with a jigsaw AFTER the piece fell down from the bottom of the slab a year later.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:41 AM
Peasant

Well, I ended up making Father's Day weekend my time to pour the hearth. I rented the largest concrete mixer I could find ( 9 cubic feet capacity), so I only needed to mix two batches. I used a plywood support with no backer board in the end. I had it purchased, and took it back.

For someone who has precious little experience pouring concrete, it turned out very well. I am going to focus on bricking up the facade while it cures to max strength. Progress photos below of my saturday pour.
Attached Thumbnails
First Timer's AZ Build-photo12.jpg   First Timer's AZ Build-photo-1.jpg   First Timer's AZ Build-photorfe.jpg  
Old 06-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Apprentice

I might wait on putting any finish material on until you finish the dome. I found that making the dome was a pretty messy project. The concrete work looks good to me. My first pour was a horrible looking slab.

I salute you, though, for braving the insane temperatures we're experiencing. When I was building mine last year, I had already quit working for the season by June.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:32 AM
Peasant

Great, thanks for the advice. I'll be shifting gear to pickup the FB Board and brick, rather than working on the facade.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:42 PM
Apprentice

Did you raid Marjon Ceramics for board yesterday? When I called today to see if they had any, they said someone had bought all if it yesterday.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:06 PM
Peasant

Yup, that was me. However, they didn't have enough for me. I am never over in that part of the Valley, so I stopped in. I called today and asked for them to order more.

I am assuming you ordered the 5 boards. small world!
Old 06-20-2012, 11:44 PM
Apprentice

Yeah, I placed the order. I'm building a brick smoker next to the oven. It's hard to justify dragging out my trailer-mounted smoker unless I have a couple hundred people to feed. Since I learned to smoke meat in Texas, I'm too much of a snob to do it with an El Cheapo from the local big-boxes, and I want to try an insulated pit design.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:11 PM
Peasant

@AZatty

I am planning on going over to Marjon this afternoon to pickup the fiber board. Want me to pick yours while I am there?
Old 09-10-2012, 03:30 PM
Peasant

Working on the arch opening. Still waiting to make more progress on the dome. Nothing else to see here...
Attached Thumbnails
First Timer's AZ Build-photo.jpg  
Old 09-29-2012, 10:41 AM
Peasant

Spent 5 hours last night working on cutting my soldier course at 5/16 off (5 degrees), dry fitting, and then finally mortaring.

Man, that homebrew recipe is nasty stuff. I used gloves and still my hands feel dry the next day. I attempted to get the grout lines on the inside of my soldier course as small as possible, so I ended up with some gaps between the floor and the course bigger than I'd like. It's nice to see if finally going up. Likely will do one more course, and then complete the arch.

I am using the spreadsheet that deejayoh created. Props!
Attached Thumbnails
First Timer's AZ Build-brick.jpg   First Timer's AZ Build-brick-1.jpg   First Timer's AZ Build-brick-3.jpg  

Tags
arizona, new builder, wfo