Old 05-08-2012, 10:47 AM
Laborer

Default Re: First Timer's AZ Build

I found that you can grind the block by using a dry masonry saw on your 7 1/2 inch circular saw. Another way is to go to Harbor Freight and pick up an angle grinder (about 4 inch blade) pick up a pack of masory blades and metal grinding blades. They come in handy. While you are at it, they have one of those vibrating cutter multi-tools. I picked up the more expensive one because of the extra stuff. You will find that it is great for cleaning brick as well as getting rid of any high places on the floor of the oven.

I am in Mesa, by the way.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:38 PM
Serf

Any progress this weekend?
Old 05-15-2012, 08:20 AM
Peasant

A little. Filled more of the cores with concrete. I am a little stuck because i need to go buy an angle grinder to accomodate the lentil I purchased. I did find that it took an entire 80lb bag of concrete to fill just one core (again, my stand is 5 courses, the typical is 4).

Traveling Wed-Fri this week, so not hopeful that I will accomplish much.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

"Not sure how picky I should be on being exactly level on every block, but did the best I could"

You can take out any slight unevenness when you form up your suspended slab.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:57 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil2 View Post
"Not sure how picky I should be on being exactly level on every block, but did the best I could"

You can take out any slight unevenness when you form up your suspended slab.
And even if your slab isn't perfectly level, vermicrete/perlcrete or even sand and fireclay cover a multitude of imperfections.

You might want to consider slightly sloping the slab away from the center anyway to provide drainage for those upcoming monsoons.

And you're going to find than an angle grinder and a diamond blade are your best friends. I used mine a ton during the build. Get a good diamond blade--don't buy those cheap $2 masonry cutoff blades. I wore down a bunch before finally dropping the money on the diamond blade. Pretty bizarre that I spent thousands on materials (*shudder*), and got a case of the cheaps when it came to the grinder blade.

Last edited by azatty; 05-15-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:26 PM
Peasant

Angle grinder. Ok, should have checked AZAtty's post before I went and bought a blade for the angle grinder. Here are some before and after pictures for $3.50 worth of blade from Ace Hardware. Won't make that mistake again.
Attached Thumbnails
First Timer's AZ Build-photo.jpg   First Timer's AZ Build-photo-1-.jpg  
Old 05-20-2012, 03:36 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Did all my cuts with a $25 angle grinder and $50 diamond cutter.....still have the cutter but the angle grinder has died.... its internals spoilt by dust.
So Don't forget your mask! not a cheap one either

Regards Dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Everyone should have an angle grinder in their tool box. Amazing the uses you will find for it from grinding, polishing to cutting up rebar.

I would opt for a 5 inch grinder over the inexpensive 4 inch ones. They will use both the 5 inch disks and 4 inch disks and are generally much more robust.

Last edited by Neil2; 05-22-2012 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:40 AM
Peasant

Ok, finally properly grinded the blocks. But now, I am considering how to set them into place (see pic below). The lentil isn't tied to anything, just set in place. My options:

1. Fill every other core with concrete, and know that the hearth with keep them in place

2. Drill a hole in the angle iron and run rebar through it. Fill coes with concrete.

3. Run a rebar through all four of the blocks by either drilling a hole through all, or creating a channel. Then filling all cores with concrete.

Each idea has its merits. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
First Timer's AZ Build-photo-2-.jpg  
Old 05-24-2012, 10:45 AM
Peasant

Also, how do you float brick over the face of the lentil (planning on covering all block with brick mocked up in bottom left of photo of previous post)? there is nothing for it to rest on. I am sure this is a common issue, but just realized this today.

Tags
arizona, new builder, wfo