Old 05-04-2012, 03:03 PM
Peasant

Default Re: First Timer's AZ Build

I put up the forms, and the concrete poured. Overall dimensions are 6' x 7'4". This should allow me some extra space in the front of my WFO for general prep/cooling/etc. I used #4 rebar and the wire mesh, just as prescribed in the PDF. Added the rebar for the columns with the extra from my cuts.

Going to have to put my bricks back together around it, but shouldn't be too difficult. Next step: concrete blocks!
Attached Thumbnails
First Timer's AZ Build-form.jpg   First Timer's AZ Build-pad.jpg  
Old 05-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Laborer

Two things to consider, first is HOA regulations on Chimneys. I am also in AZ and HOA can be a bummer. The second thing is welcome to summer. Work early, keep hydrated for yourself and the bricks.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: First Timer's AZ Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxdt View Post
I put up the forms, and the concrete poured. Overall dimensions are 6' x 7'4". This should allow me some extra space in the front of my WFO for general prep/cooling/etc. I used #4 rebar and the wire mesh, just as prescribed in the PDF. Added the rebar for the columns with the extra from my cuts.

Going to have to put my bricks back together around it, but shouldn't be too difficult. Next step: concrete blocks!
The first milestone is done

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxdt View Post
OK, going to start a thread of my pizza oven build. Goal: to be complete by Thankgiving (hopefully I don't laugh at this looking back in a few months).
It'll depend on how much time you spend each week on it. You're starting at a bad time for Phoenix. The summer heat dries out your mortar faster, and I found that I had to mix smaller batches or mix it wetter to make it work.

Marvel Masonry has firebrick, sand, and fireclay, in case you need a source.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:17 PM
Peasant

Thanks for the tip about Marvel. I have been looking for something that will provide 1/2 size bricks- is that available?

I keep on talking to vets who spend waaay too much time cutting bricks in half. Why not save that time by having it done already?

...or am I asking for too much?
Old 05-05-2012, 11:31 AM
Peasant

OK, so Saturdays will likely be days that I get a lot accomplished. I went over to Lowes to purchase the 8x8x16 block. I haven't taken the forms off of my concrete yet, but I have been told 12 hours is plenty in Phoenix.

I put a chalk line down 4" from the edges of my foundation, and started to place down my block to measure. Newbie note: 8x8x16 is actually 7.5x.7.5x15.5 (like everything else). So, I am off by 1.5" on all my chalk lines. Will need to do that over again. Anyways, here is a pic of what the courses look like. As side earlier, will be doing 5 courses high- don't want to have to hunch to look into the oven.

Asked a few people on this forum about the need for a center column, given that I have a pretty large gap. Both think it's not necessary. Great news.
Attached Thumbnails
First Timer's AZ Build-photo.jpg  
Old 05-05-2012, 09:37 PM
Journeyman

The only 1/2 sized bricks I have found were at the Phoenix Brick yard (7th ave and 17) and they were 1/2 thickness. Just cut your own is the best advice as you will need some 1/3 and 1/4 cuts as well in the upper chains.

I know I can get yellow fire brick at HD down in Queen Creek and a few others in the east valley. Fire clay is available at Marvel, White Cap (sometimes) or Phoenix Brick Yard.

I know of some folks who have gathered enough fire clay from cutting bricks for their build. I had probably 2 - 5 gallon buckets of the stuff after cutting. However, you may need to screen it of larger chunks. I have old fire brick with aggregate, so decided against using the stuff.

As for mixing the home brew - I used the 1:1:1;3 method using my red solo cup - placed all material in a bucket and mixed well when dry and added aroudn1 and 3/4 parts water (red solo cup, I lift you up, its time to party... oh sorry.) that way I did not waste too much due to outside temps.

Last - don't forget to soak your bricks. Using the store boughts, AZAtty and the others will have a better idea on how long. My classics were dunked for a couple minutes to get rid of the air before mudding and stacking. I placed my bricks in the bucket mixed my mud and removed the bricks and stacked near the place of use. I then placed the next round of bricks in the water and started buttering the first batch and placing.

Keep it up and enjoy!

Follow my build
Old 05-06-2012, 10:04 PM
Peasant

I have started the courses, will be pouring the concrete into the columns tomorrow AM. Not sure how picky I should be on being exactly level on every block, but did the best I could. Excited to have both the foundation and stand completed by the end of day tomorrow.

First Timer's AZ Build-3-courses.jpg
Old 05-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Serf

Your off to a good start!!!! I'm thinking about trying to build my WFO
Old 05-08-2012, 10:23 AM
Peasant

Well, I didnt finish off my stand because of one very obvious flaw- no lentil to finish off the face of the stand. I looked into threads on this website that you forego the lentil and just reinforce the hearth with steel. I am sure it'll work, but this being my first build, I want to stick closer to plans.

I went by HD to pick up angle iron, but the best they have is 3/16" (PDF recommends 3/8 thick). I bought a couple of sticks anyways, thinking I could reinforce the blocks to shore up the difference.

This morning, I went to a local scrap yard in mesa (Phoenix, AZ: American Metals Co - Welcome), and found much better product, and cheaper. There is a scrap heap there where all the metal is $0.50/lb. Works out to roughly 50% off their normal stuff.

I found a beastly angle iron 6"x4"x 3/8" and 60" long. I paid $35 for it. Should be perfect, and will use just the one piece for the lentil. As a bonus, they have all the rebar you would need, at scrap prices. I'll be back when I do my hearth. Should be priced much better than retail.

Now my problem is finding a way to grind the blocks to fit the angle iron.

Tags
arizona, new builder, wfo