Old 02-25-2008, 08:47 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: First fire in Wisconsin

RC

I'd use them for kindling, drying fires and/or initial startup fires.....save good wood for cooking. Creosote should not be too bad since when you get to pizza temp the soot will burn off.

I burn pallet wood when I can find them for generating heat....other woods for cooking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tiempo para guzarlos.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...enjoy every sandwich!
Old 02-25-2008, 09:42 AM

I've burned a ton of two by fours and construction garbage. Slow smokey fires are what cause creasote buildup, not high-heat fast fires.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:00 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmun View Post
I've burned a ton of two by fours and construction garbage. Slow smokey fires are what cause creasote buildup, not high-heat fast fires.
I know this has been discussed somewhere...

No concerns about chemicals?

So pallets and 2/4's (untreated) are fine to use?

Yeehaw -- Free firewood!

My costs:

My pics:

Old 02-25-2008, 10:12 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by asudavew View Post
I know this has been discussed somewhere...

No concerns about chemicals?

So pallets and 2/4's (untreated) are fine to use?

Yeehaw -- Free firewood!
Yup. Although my oven is not yet built I have used a wide variety of wood in cooking. I remember seeing a thread about wood in Pompei ovens and the consensus was that the ovens are not really fussy. It was also univerally stated that treated lumber and telepone poles should not be used. My rule of thumb.. untreated stray wood for startups, "good" wood for cooking.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:22 AM
Laborer

I haven't had any problems with burning pine. I figgured it wasn't a woodstove so I burn pine all the time until the last few logs I throw in some hardwood.
Chuck
Old 02-25-2008, 10:27 AM
Journeyman

I use scrap building timber for the initial heat build-up. It takes longer but it is a lot cheaper. When the temp is up we use better wood.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:37 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmun View Post
I have to fight the urge to burn too much construction debris and off cuts (we have a lifetime supply). The sooty fires put out a lot of black smoke, which not only makes the vent area black -- but also really dirty to the touch.

Once the oven is cured, I'm going to grind my Artigiano opening to get back to the original brick color.
James

Old 02-25-2008, 11:47 AM
Journeyman

I'm be real glad to burn them for curing fires, I hate to think they would only fill up more landfill

"It's time to go Vertical"

Old 02-25-2008, 01:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

RC,

I wouldn't worry about scrap for kindling and cooking fires, although it can be smokey as James points out. Some time ago, there was a thread about pallets, and the concern was that they're treated with pesticides. Looked into it. Pallets meant for repeated use with heavy materials are sometimes treated, but it they are, they're stamped (at least here in Ontario). Anything without stamps--hardwood or softwood--is fine. A friend of mine works for a siding company and regularly drops off pallets meant for lighter loads and one time use. I burn them all them time to no ill effect. You're right, all that stuff will go into a landfill somewhere otherwise.

Jim
Old 02-26-2008, 11:28 AM
Journeyman

Jim
How is your curing process going? What are you doing with the fire at night and do you have insulation on the dome or not?

"It's time to go Vertical"