Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Pompeii Oven Construction (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   First course (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/first-course-16862.html)

Omaharosario 10-17-2011 11:05 AM

First course

4 Attachment(s)
Some new pics of our recent progress.

Faith In Virginia 10-17-2011 11:27 AM

Re: First course

I'm a bit confused by your pictures. Does your soldier course sit directly on your concrete slab then you filled the interior with something?

Omaharosario 10-17-2011 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faith In Virginia (Post 122034)
I'm a bit confused by your pictures. Does your soldier course sit directly on your concrete slab then you filled the interior with something?

A little different huh?

The soldier course is sitting on the cement slab and filled with, First layer 1" 1800 degree fiber board, follow by 4" refractory cement, then a 1" 2300 degree board, then we will lay our firebrick cooking floor on top of that. The reason I am leaving the 2300 board and cooking floor out till we get out dome done is because we want all of the refractory to cure correctly. Not the most traditional way but we like it so far.

Faith In Virginia 10-17-2011 11:51 AM

I only ask because when you heat your oven the dome will get hot. But that soldier course to the concrete will wick your heat away from your oven to the concrete slab. See where I'm going with that?

Omaharosario 10-17-2011 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faith In Virginia (Post 122040)
I only ask because when you heat your oven the dome will get hot. But that soldier course to the concrete will wick your heat away from your oven to the concrete slab. See where I'm going with that?

I guess I did not think about that, I thought the 2 boards and the refractory cement would be ok.:mad:. So when you put your soldier course on top of refractory, the refractory wicks the heat away from the cement? Any suggestions...

Les 10-17-2011 12:19 PM

Since its only the first coarse - I would pull it and insulate under it.

Faith In Virginia 10-17-2011 01:06 PM

I think the big trick is to heat just the oven bricks. (Your progress so far looks wonderful) so if you don't have an insulation layer between your solders and your concrete base as your trying to get your oven to temp your loosing some of your heat to the concrete slab. So it it were a swimming pool, you'd have a big leak if you know what I mean.

My thought is that I believe the oven will function as a pizza oven as it is but it won't be very efficient. If your looking to do more then pizzas and cooking days after the firing your oven will be at a disadvantage. So the choice is yours on (leave it as it is or get insulation under the solders) I know others will chime in on this one so I would give it some thought before you proceed any more.

brickie in oz 10-17-2011 01:30 PM

The heat will just trickle out trough the bricks into the concrete base and you will be forever feeding the thing firewood, been there done that with my first oven. :(

Everything needs to be off the concrete base and well insulated, even the entry bricks.

Omaharosario 10-17-2011 01:36 PM

What kind of insulation & the what amount you would apply under the soldier course to fix this problem?
Also I want to understand why this creates a huge leak and why the insulation changes that? Not trying to question you just want to be a informed builder.
Thank you for your input it it very useful.:o

Omaharosario 10-17-2011 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brickie in oz (Post 122054)
The heat will just trickle out trough the bricks into the concrete base and you will be forever feeding the thing firewood, been there done that with my first oven. :(

Everything needs to be off the concrete base and well insulated, even the entry bricks.

Thank you! How did you go about fixing yours??