Old 04-22-2008, 01:25 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Is fireclay necessary?

Simon
Try Long & Somerville :: Homepage Once on their site search under fire bricks. They have fire clay and high alumina cement, better than OPC. for building the dome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never put off untill tomorrow what you can do today. If you enjoy it today, you can do it again tomorrow.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:39 AM
Peasant

Thanks for all the responses,
it seems that fireclay in the UK is a dying industry, potter suppliers I have spoken to say that they haven't stocked it for a long time. Builders suppliers don't even appear to know what I am talking about!
Thanks for the link to long and Somerville Rafv, they have two bags left and these will cost me 75! Does anyone know of any alternative?
I have a nice block base, hearth and insulation, and now I can't put anything on it!
Old 04-23-2008, 04:15 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by asudavew View Post
Nah... just faster thinker! Got ya!!

Ooooh, now that is just so depressing!!! Ouch!

Simon, you've probably thought of this, but if Hepworth only sells to trade, coulnd't you ask some friendly neighbourhood bricklayer to buy some for you?

What have other UK oven builders used then? C'mon guys, he's not the first to build in this part of the world, give us a hand here!
Old 04-23-2008, 04:37 AM
Peasant

I did try that, but Travis Perkins who I assume buy quite a lot as they are quite big in this area have a 500 minimum order with them. So I shuuder to think what a local builder might need! long and Somerville have a 100 tonne minimum order with their supplier so they aren't looking at buying any more for a while.
As you say I am not the only one around here, unless they have all finished theirs and used up all of UK fireclay!! maybe there is an opportunity to set up as a fireclay supplier??
Old 04-23-2008, 05:14 AM

There have to be refractory dealers in Wales, like:

Refractory International Ltd

2m1 Unit, Redwither Tower, Redwither Business Park, Wrexham, Clwyd LL13 9XT
Tel: 01978 780800

Bob Paterson Refractories

80, Chester Rd, Buckley, Clwyd CH7 3AH
Tel: 01244 543621

As a side note, I didn't use any fireclay in my build, because I laid my floor directly on insulating boards, and used a refractory mortar to lay up my dome bricks.

As I've been saying for years, I'd think someone would make a nice little business importing brick oven supplies to the UK where prices are uniformly three times what we pay in the states.

Last edited by dmun; 04-23-2008 at 05:16 AM.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Apprentice

Simon,
you mentioned that you found fire cement..is it a kind of refractory mortar? If so then you don't need fire clay....I did laied down the bricks on the ceramic boards ans didn't use fire clay for any other scope.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:50 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Ciao Carlo,

Fire clay makes traditional Portland cement mortar more resilient to heat cycles (heat up and cool down). It does not make refractory mortar, which is calcium aluminate based -- and a different animal.

If you are controlling costs, fire clay added to a Portland cement mix is the right way to go.
James

Old 04-23-2008, 12:08 PM
Apprentice

James I think there is misunderstanding...I was answering Simon's note...
but your note is creating some doubts in my mind now...
I am using heat stop 50 which is a refractory cement I think is the same like remix...even in terms of cost
Am I doing anything wrong?
And I have (should have) no need for fire clay as well...right?

Old 04-23-2008, 12:11 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Didn't mean to stir up the pot. Heat Stop 50 is a true refractory mortar, like Refmix -- of course I like Refmix better. :-), and it is a good alternative.

James

Old 04-23-2008, 12:50 PM
Peasant

Wow, did not know expensive fire clay was going to be. I was hoping to use Long&Somerville but not at those prices. Purimachos do Kos Heatproof Mortar in 10kg tubs. This is refractory cement for laying fire bricks. Plumbing Supplies : MyTub Ltd have it for sale at 9.66 but they will only sell you 12 Tubs at a time plus 20 delivery. www.fireplaceproducts.info have it for 16.

Never put off untill tomorrow what you can do today. If you enjoy it today, you can do it again tomorrow.

Last edited by rafv; 04-23-2008 at 12:59 PM. Reason: make corrections